1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese gymnasts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Spn, it's the principal of the thing.

And anyway, they took our medals, just like they took our jobs!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

They didn't take my medal or my job.

And while we're accusing the Chinese, Shawn Johnson looks like she's about 12 as well.

Little girls gymnastics = child abuse.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, yes. But I'm more inclined to believe Johnson's birth certificate is correct.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Shawn is cute and all, but every time I see her, I'm reminded of Kermit's main squeeze.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus, spnited.

6. Give ME a fucking break.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In the furor over the Chinese gymnasts, I must ask:

Why are Little League pitchers on pitch counts to protect their limbs, but it's OK for pre-teen gymnasts to hurl their bodies around for years to the point puberty is delayed and their growth is stunted?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The answer is pretty obvious. For gymnasts, it's pretty well established that the prime age for competition is pre-puberty/pubescence. There's no athletic future to save them for. For ball players, prime is adulthood, so it would behoove them not to blow out an arm in Little League.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

No she doesn't.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That only half answers my question. Adults competed in Olympic gymnastics long before children. Little League limits pitches so kids don't wreck their bodies before they are fully grown, not to save them for the major leagues.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I read in a somewhere last night that Nadia was 14 when she performed all those 10s, and she was a big reason for the 16-years rule. Can't remember where I read that.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No, she doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted