1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese gymnasts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was wondering why NBC didn't show the oaths being given at the Opening Ceremonies. Total fraud. And I was defending the Chinese before documentation that contradicted the passports was discovered.
    THE Olympic Oath:

The athlete, from the team of the organizing country, holds a corner of the Olympic Flag while reciting the oath:

In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams.[1]

The judge, also from the host nation, likewise holds a corner of the flag but takes a slightly different oath:

In the name of all the judges and officials, I promise that we shall officiate in these Olympic Games with complete impartiality, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them in the true spirit of sportsmanship.[1]

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm really pissed about this thing, and not necessarily the act of cheating, but how it was carried out. It's not right, but at least we can accept that since the beginning of competition, there has been cheating. The problem with China's farce is that they are not even trying to be subtle about it. I mean, there isn't even a question about these girls. You can't look at them and say, "You know, she's young, but maybe she's 16." They're just trying to carry out a deception so blatant that it's offensive. At least try to fool me. Don't rub it in my face.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Let's look ahead, shall we?

I can see it now. 2012. London. China wins gymnastics gold. In the aftermath, China's new star, Xi Yilin refuses to speak to the foreign media.

A picture of Yilin (taken two days after the medal ceremony):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If I was investigating their ages I would go back to previous tournaments to see if there were any discrepancies in their ages. If that girl is listed as 13 in the news report, there's probably some official tournament roster/program which has her proper age listed.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's all they've been doing for a week. The lip-synching at the opening ceremonies because one of the girls was "homely," hiring "fans" for events, lying about ticket sales ... they have completely shown their ass to people who couldn't be bothered in the least to discover it before now.

6. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Maybe I'll just watch "Miracle" again.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

"Beat those Commie bastards!"

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Holy shit, people, get a fucking life.

Pissed over gymnastics? Upset by phony opening cermony?
    Good freaking god, this is insanity.

9. schiezainc

Outing alert: spnited = Jacques Rogge

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Our economy is in the dumper; our soldiers are getting killed in Iraq; the douchebag president in in Beijing try to grab Misty May's ass; thousands of people in our business are getting laid off/bought out every freaking week....

But damnit, we better nail those damn commies for cheating in prepubescent girls gymnastics.

Give me a fucking break.

11. schiezainc

Why do you hate freedom? :)

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Actually, I hate the stupid nationalistic jingoism of the Olympics.

I love watching great athletes like Phelps compete.
    I can do without the crap that accompanies every Olympiad.

Draft saved Draft deleted