1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese gymnasts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

One in particular fucking looks like she's 11.

And yes, I had the Olympics boycotted until Michael Phelps. Dammit! I'm a Phelps fanboi looser. *hangs head in shame*

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just doubt some of these "arguments" would be being made if the US won the gold. It comes off as whining and that bothers me if its a high school game, a college game, the Olympics or an NFL game. I guess I agree with Bela, dump the age requirement. If 14-year-old can synchro dive, they should be able to by gymnasts.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

In a situation like this, you wish that people were like trees. Then it would be easy to see how old they were without doing some birth-certificate gymnastics.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But if you cut a leg off to count the rings and find that the girl is 16, it's gonna be a disadvantage for her, I'm thinking.

5. It's been talked about a lot, especially now that the Americans finished second to China.
    While it's certainly likely several members of the Chinese team are not of age to participate - given the NY Times and others work - the IOC isn't going to touch the matter with a 10-foot pole.

It does comes off as whining... at least the one U.S. gymnast said it didn't matter ... but rules are rules.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know the rules say 16, but can someone tell me what advantage there is to using 13 or 14 year olds?

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This needs to be let go. I don't see how China's having 14-year-old gymnasts caused one of the American girls to fall off the balance beam, and two of them to go out of bounds on the floor. If anyone can explain that, then I'll be open to the argument.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

But THEY cheated!

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Because the one who fell off was the only gymnast with boobs and they threw her out of whack.

The prepubescent Chinese girls have no such problems.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

X-rays, man. X-rays. :)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Olympics have lots of stupid rules that competitors are expected to follow.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe 13 or 14 years olds wouldn't choke as bad as the U.S.'s older girls?

Draft saved Draft deleted