1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese drivers hit to kill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Outing. Chris is:

[​IMG]

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Somebody better QFP that so qt is sure to see it.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Well, we see it every day. I even had an insurance agent at the Auto Club tell me, "Every **one** knows Asians can't drive." And he is Asian.
    Believe me, this isn't being racist, this is being observant.

**edit**

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Andrew Dice Clay agrees.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Woman too.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I want to know Chris Long's thoughts when he drives past Popeye's.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I do wonder what happened to Mark2010.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They can turn a television into a watch.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If there are Asian drivers there, I be extra careful.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, I guess you think you're funny and will only think you're funnier the more feedback you get. In truth you're as much of a gasbag as you were on your very first post here.

Have a good one. Watch out for those folks with the funny eyes, yuk yuk!

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I remember reading this article from 1989 stating that Asians aren't worse drivers, just different. In some countries it's necessary to be more aggressive on the road, especially for merging and changing lanes, so it's just a different style of driving.

CHP Unveils Program to Aid Asian Drivers

Both Woo and Gomez stressed that the need for the program did not arise from any "lack of inherent driving skills" on the part of Asians. Woo said that he hopes that if the program is successful, it will be helpful in dispelling a stubbornly pervasive stereotype among some Southern Californians that Asians are poor drivers.

"We are in part admitting that there's a problem--not that Asians are inherently bad drivers, but that there is a lack of education about our laws among some of the immigrants," Woo said. Noting that "stereotypes are difficult to change," Woo said he hoped that the program's success would change the minds of "people who think that there is a problem."

12. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

All I'm going to say is 100% of the time when one has nothing else left they go to the racial; stereotyping? Almost the same thing; if one works a little harder they will see that the "bad" drivers are:

Less educated
    Older
    more recently immigrated
    Less likely to be socially mainstreamed

Those categories cut across racial lines yet the easier conclusion is to just make a racial stereotype.

Do I see Asians driving poorly? Sure but they're not the only ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted