1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Democracy: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Nov 21, 2008.

?

After 17 years, Guns N Roses have released Chinese Democracy. So what do you think?

1. Worth (or close to worth) the hype

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Solid effort

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Terrible

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mizzou's right, this thing is going to sell like crazy.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet it gets to between 5-7 million which is pretty tough to do in this age of free downloads.

3. It's very interesting that it's being released on a Sunday instead of a Tuesday.

What if GnR revives rock 'n' roll? I mean, what if this is, like, the game-changing guitar moment of the 2000s?

How wild would that be?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The kids can't get enough of the guitar because of Guitar Hero.
    Axl Rose couldn't have picked a better time to drop a new album.
    This is really the last album of the 20th century.
    I think it will sell huge. I'll go buy a copy...

5. Then where's all the new guitar bands hitting it big?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey, snake. i'm not trying to bust your balls. i'm just saying you might not have appreciated AfD for the true impact it had at the time. it wasn't the greatest album of that year, much less a generation.

and i stand by my earlier statement: GnR's lyrics developed tenfold after AfD.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In their garages, waiting for a chance.
    In the clubs you don't go to, charging five bucks to get in and netting maybe fifty bucks on the night.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was about the same age, and that's not how i remember it in '87. i do know sweet child won vid of the year, and yes it changed the landscape of music at that time, but it wasn't nearly as drastic as you'd lead us to believe.

fucking cobain already was playing all over the PNW by the time sweet child won the MTV award. others developed different noise ... GnR just did it better.

9. I really, really hope you're right.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think they also released the Eagles album and the AC/DC album on Sundays. I'm guessing they want seven full days to chart sales during the biggest shopping weekend of the year.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was old enough to appreciate Appetite when it first came out. It was kind of an interesting dynamic ...

I was living overseas at the time (my dad was, and is still, in the oil business). I saw an article about GnR during the late summer of 1987, but didn't think much of it. But a friend of mine bought a cassette copy of Appetite while home in the states for the summer and brought it back to school with him that August. By the end of the fall semester of my freshman year of high school, that one cassette had been copied and re-copied and spread like wildfire all over our school.

We left and came home for good the following summer, and "Sweet Child O Mine" was just starting to take off. I thought it was strange that something I'd been listening to for nine months was just now becoming big at home.

So I appreciated Appetite at the time. And it was huge.

GnR got so popular so fast that they put out GnR Lies, an EP containing four new songs and four old live tracks, to capitalize on their popularity in time for Christmas of 1988. I thought Use Your Illusion was good, but probably would have been better served not being a double album (rumor has it that David Geffen wanted as much GnR music on the streets as possible lest one or more key band members die of a drug overdose).

So maybe the songwriting was a little better on Illusion, but the Seattle movement rendered it insignificant less than six months after it was released. Appetite was the perfect album at the perfect time.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i enjoyed the background, snake. thanks.

and the one thing i will disagree with is that GnR rendered themselves insignificant, not seattle. as far as i'm concerned, the shit that came out of seattle was the first step in killing almost all worthwhile music, and we're still feeling the impact today.

Draft saved Draft deleted