1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Democracy: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Nov 21, 2008.

?

After 17 years, Guns N Roses have released Chinese Democracy. So what do you think?

1. Worth (or close to worth) the hype

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Solid effort

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Terrible

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm currently listening to the stream from the myspace page, so thanks for that.
    Axl Rose!!!
    I feel 20 years younger, as I have a new Guns N Fucking Roses album turned up loud.
    Key difference, It isn't a cassette and instead a digital stream through a Mac G4 laptop.
    Technology!!!
    Still pretty damn awesome.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll agree that there was some filler, but i wouldn't say "a lot."

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Got your back on this one, Waylon. Both are great albums, but "Highway to Hell" is just a stronger collection of tunes IMO.

I'd also put Back In Black above Appetite.

4. I like the title track on Democracy, the rest of it is low-grade NIN, too techno, too electronic, too forced for me.

If you're a Slash fan--as I am--you'll just love this piece of lunacy from the Boston Herald: http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/reviews/view.bg?articleid=1133834

As for Appetite, nothing close has been produced since it was released 21 years ago. The Illusions are good, Appetite is Capital-G Great.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's a worth effort. Haven't listened to the real thing yet, but I have what seems like 10 different leaks of the album on my hard drive from the last 5 years.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

haven't listened to a tune off BiB in 20 years, and i won't in another 20, either. as a kid, i overdosed on that cd/album, whatever you want to call it, because i loved it so much. i now hate it.

but, back in the day, i easily would have put BiB above HtH.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not Appetite for Destruction, but what is?

IRS is my favorite song on the album. I think it's really good.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. Appetite is the best album of my lifetime by a longshot. It's an amazing album that holds up remarkably well.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm as big of a GnR fan as there is ... both back in the day and now. may i ask this: how old were you when appetite was released? is it something you listened to fresh off the shelf, or did you retro appetite?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was a junior/sophomore in high school when Appetite was released.

I think I was 21 or so when Nevermind was released and killed metal.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I can understand that, tp. That album was virtually the soundtrack to my senior year in high school (that and Billy Squier's 'Don't Say No' :D). But, after setting it aside for a while, I sort of re-discovered it, and really appreciate a lot of the lesser known tunes on the album: 'Have a Drink on Me', 'Shoot To Thrill', 'Let Me Put My Love Into You Babe'. And the way Hells Bells builds: slow, steady, like thunder rumbling in the distance--that is musical genius.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A couple decent tracks. Too much NIN. Not bad. Not great. Is it less than I expected? Yes. Will I buy it? Probably.

Draft saved Draft deleted