1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese Democracy is coming!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by tyler durden 71351, Dec 15, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Piotr --

That's the true tragedy. As a teen, I saw AJFA...-tour Metallica, and I honestly thought I would never see a live show like that again in my life.

Then I caught the Metallica -- G'N'R twinbill the next time out. Metallica goes on first, and does the same thing they did the last time. Just shreds the place. Seek and Destroy is well over 10 minutes long, pyro going off everywhere, amps cranked all the way up and it doesn't sound like they ever miss a note. A world-class show.

Axl and the boys don't come out until more than an hour after Hetfield and company have left the stage. The damned crowd had almost fallen asleep.

And Guns and Roses proceed to play the best rock concert I had seen, before or since. They honestly showed Metallica up when Metallica was as good as they ever were. Wasn't even a contest.

The fact that he fucked up that band will never let me forgive him.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen GNR about six times. The first time they were opening for Aerosmith on the Permanent Vacation tour. I love Aerosmith, but GNR blew them off the stage... I think that was 1988.

I saw the GNR/Metallica tour twice in 1992. The first time GNR clearly phoned it in and still played a pretty good albeit shortened set.

The second time, GNR played 3 1/2 hours, encored three times and played the best concert I've ever seen...

A friend saw them in Des Moines a few weeks back and said the show was just amazing...

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The concert was incredible down here a couple months ago.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mizzou --

I saw them phone it in one time too, when they were touring with Brian May. Still a decent show, and I'd never say I didn't get my money's worth , but not up to the impossibly high bar they set on that Metallica tour.

Maybe Axl needed that competition to drive him. Because the band could certainly play their asses off, but his energy drove those great shows.

5. Mizzougrad96

Of the six times I've seen them, four of the shows have been amazing... The other two were good, but not close to the others...

At one show, Axl sang an a capella (sp?) version of Elton John's "The One" that was one of the most amazing covers I've ever heard...

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Warrant could kick all their asses, especially Elton John.

7. Mizzougrad96

Appetite for Destruction is the best album I've ever heard...

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

All we need is a little patience...

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Personally, I'm guessing China will actually BE democratic before this album comes out.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The U.S. will have its troops out of Iraq before this album ever comes out.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Fair enough.

But it sure as hell ain't Guns 'n' F%&*in' Roses.

On that Metallica tour, they absolutely blew Metallica - with Hetfield only doing the singing due to his injuries - off the stage. And Metallica is always great. Andrew Dice Clay did the Guns intro at the show I was at.

Talk about a perfect day for entertainment . . . . . . .

They were a great band in their time. Hell, I have a bootleg (yes, I'm one of THOSE people) of an LA Forum show the summer before the Illusion albums came out that is absolutely amazing.

Now, it's Axl and the name, with a bunch of dudes he has recruited to put up with his crap. No Slash, no Guns n Roses.

What's worse is the mediocre music Velvet Revolver has put out with those guys.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love GNR and I have made this point on here before: Axl Rose is one of the greatest, often imitated, never duplicated hard-rock singers ever. He helped made GNR notorious and kept their name in the papers. But Slash was the guts of that band, he made them great.

I saw GNR open for the Cult circa 1987 at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. Talk about a mismatch.

Draft saved Draft deleted