1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China vs. Google

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

There's one reason for that: The PROC's bureaucrats fear the Internet because they can't control it.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm well aware. A friend of mine that is splitting time between here and there ended up spending money on a VPN just to get on Facebook. Completely unreal.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Google already prostituted itself.

But, when China started doing a more 2-girls-1-cup sort of thing, it said, "How dare you! I'm not that sort of girl!"

China will bring Google a few flowers and everything will be OK, again.

Google just wants a softer pimp hand.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Don't be too sure of this. I think Google just doesn't see as much money in the Chinese market for their products.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Spoken like an owner of Baidu stock!

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No way. I have a policy against buying Chinese stock. Their reported earnings are generally fake and the market is severely manipulated. I know people that are day traders in China and it is just a game to them.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't invest in stocks, but the very last stocks I messed with were Chinese, trading in Hong Kong or as ADRs -- a few years ago. I rode China Telecom for a while. And I even owned Baidu very briefly. I got the heck away from there for the reasons you just said, though. If you followed the news on China Telecom, they had a monopoly on cell phone service in several provinces and there were still so many people without phones -- the reason to buy the stock. The growth potential was enormous and they were audited well enough (as an ADR) to know that they were making some serious money as that growth happened.

There was one other company, China Unicom. The government basically played them against each other, and that was the problem. Without any semblence of a free market, as an investor it felt like playing Russian Roulette. China Telecom was favored (who knows who was greasing whom), but the monopoly always felt so tenuous. The government would screw with investors by doing things to make you think the company could vanish like a fart in the wind without any notice. I decided that there were better ways to try to make money.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. Are they hiring?

2. Do I need to know how to speak Mandarin? Or can I just stand on the floor of the exchange flashing fingers in the air like a commodity trader?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not a lot of pit trading left these days.

Was in a bar recently and the guy next to me was talking to his friend and also "talking with his hands". How'd I know he was a commodity trader?

When he said "seven" he made this sign with his hands:

[​IMG]

Pretty good explanation here:

http://www.mysmp.com/futures/futures-hand-signals.html

But you've got to be careful. Not every pit is the same. What is "1" in one pit, could be "100" in another.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Google guys are bucking for the role of lead villain in the next James Bond flick.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Google apparently was not the only target.

George Kurtz, author of McAfee's Security Insights blog, reports that the Chinese-based hack attempt that got Google's back up -- now being referred to as "Operation Aurora" because that word showed up in the filepaths of two of the malware bots deployed -- was not only focused against Google. Instead, "Operation Aurora looks to be a coordinated attack on many high profile companies targeting their intellectual property. Like an army of mules withdrawing funds from an ATM, this malware enabled the attackers to quietly suck the crown jewels out of many companies while people were off enjoying their December holidays. Without question this attack was perpetrated during a period of time that would minimize detection."

http://tinyurl.com/yaj6b52

Part of the attack used a previously-unknown security hole in Internet Explorer, but that was one of many attack vectors.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Like finding an alcoholic in a fraternity house. I bet it took 'em at least 20 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted