1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

China bans Olympic athletes from bringing a Bible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Go to www.google.com. At the right of the search window, click on language tools. In the middle of the page is a window to enter a web address and pick the translation.

I translated both papers mentioned, and didn't see the stories. But I didn't search extensively.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The story was on google news. Like I'm supposed to know it's true or not. "Obviously fake?" Do you know whether any news story is "obviously fake" or true.

Wouldn't it be an obvious point to raise: If the story is true, are they going to ban only the Bible or any other religious text?

And some of you people are getting on me for being "snarky?" Christ it's the stock in trade for Fenian and JR.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, Hondo, maybe if you'd read past the first graf of your own link you'd have seen this:

According to the Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, organizers have cited “security reasons” and have prohibited athletes from bearing any kind of religious symbol at Olympic facilities.

Sounds like that would include the Koran, Torah, etc. But since your link is from the Catholic News Agency, it only mentions that which affects Catholics.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To repeat, for those like spnited who are reading impaired, I got the link from google news. If there's been another update version fine. That's not what I saw.

All the bogus shit from blogs that gets posted here and I get crap for this?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is the direct quote from the second graf of the link you posted...and it has not changed since you first posted it.
    If I'm reading impaired, you are a fucking moron.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Listen, I am an agnostic.... but that is utter bullshit and, to me, legitimate reason to boycott the Games.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Isn't that spelled "moran"?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

No, Jacky. Hondo is worse than a moran.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

poor hondo, once again a victim

is there anyone more persecuted in this world than the white, male, christian conservative?

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, what's the harm in passing along a little false intelligence?

12. Sounds vaguely familiar.

Draft saved Draft deleted