1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StormSurge, May 6, 2009.

1. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Chili in summer is almost always as a side dish to a cook-out.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought it was a family recipe.

Shame that you spilled it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I used to follow recipes religiously, but I actually have started to make it from taste alone.

I keep adding until I have the certain taste I am looking for. I know what spice does what, so I just work from there. If I want a meaty chili I will go in one direction. If I want a red, soupy chili, I will go in another.

It also means I will never make the same chili twice.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not my cookouts. During the summer, especially when I eat outdoors at cookouts and such, I don't like many hot items. (Burgers, dogs and ribs, notwithstanding, of course).

For sides, I usually eat potato or macaroni salad...something like that. Heck, I may give chili a shot this summer.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

We have it to top hot dogs or to eat Frito Chili Pies. Yummy ballpark food (when made with good chili, and not that canned stuff).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I make and eat chili year round. It's basically a major part of my diet. I do switch up with chicken chili a lot.

7. JackReacher

I love -- LOVE -- using the chili recipe Petty gave me, but it's really, really hard to beat the chili from this place Hard Times Cafe in the DC area. Even have a few setups at Nats Park.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Maybe you could PM me Petty's famous recipe since he hasn't found this thread yet. ;)

9. JackReacher

Why don't you PM him yourself for it? :)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Finally getting around to posting mine:

1.25lb package of ground turkey
    1 can of tomato sauce (8 oz)
    1 can of Rotel (original)
    2 cans of black beans
    1 can of kidney beans
    3 cans of water
    3 tbsp (or more, to taste) of diced green chile (Hatch brand, preferably)
    1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp masa, 1 tsp cayenne pepper (which I usually get all-in-one w/ <a href="http://www.luzianne.com/images/10000.jpg">this</a> at the grocery store)
    Shredded cheese (cheddar, preferably)

Brown the turkey in a frying pan and chop it into chunks. Drain the beans. Put everything into a big ol' pot and stir it all up. Cook at low-med for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top it with shredded cheese.

It's real chunky that way, so use less meat or add another can of water if you want it less chunky. Three's usually enough for me. Flavor's tremendous.

Makes about 6-8 servings, so the leftovers last us a few days.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I tried this in my last batch and it was fantastic.

Here is what I did:

1 lb. Bob Evans zesty sausage
    1 lb. bison meat
    1 can of tomato sauce
    1 can of tomato paste
    1 can of cheddar cheese soup
    1 can of drained kidney beans
    1 can of drained red beans
    1 can of drained black beans
    2 cans of beer
    a small spoonful of minced garlic
    some salt, pepper and chili powder

I mixed everything but the meat together while I browned it. Put the whole mess into the crockpot for about six hours on low.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No salt needed. I just looked at the package (not that particular brand, but a similar one) and my blood pressure shot up. Yowza, that stuff is just bristling with sodium.

Whenever I make chili, I avoid the prepackaged stuff and just use a little extra other spices, and maybe a pinch of salt.

EDIT: I'm talking about the "chili in a tube" stuff, although some sausages are high in salt too.

Draft saved Draft deleted