1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StormSurge, May 6, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Spicy sausage (never seen Bob Evans in the store, but Jimmy Dean's is available everywhere) is a great addition. I like to mix it up -- sausage, ground turkey, even ground buffalo, which is healthy and has a distinctive flavor. I usually use three different kinds of meat and three different kinds of beans in every batch.

2. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Also a big fan of homemade chili powder. Alton Brown showed how to make it on "Good Eats." I have made it, but used varying peppers with no problems.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

3. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I forgot a diced onion as part of my recipe. Brown it with the meat. My apologies. Sort of loopy today.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I love the town, so my apologies to anyone who likes it, but that is some nasty shit.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Add a little high fructose corn syrup.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I used to have a chili cookbook written by a (former?) sports writer, Jenny Kellner. I think my brother-in-law has it now. There's some strange shit in there -- IIRC, one was made with tuna.

She did a good job with the book and it was helpful when I was learning, but chili fanatics make my head hurt. I never measure anything and nothing is a secret. But I do a few things that are unusual. For all I know, I learned them from Kellner's book, but I don't really remember. I think I took a little from one recipe and a little from another and other stuff from somewhere else. I have nothing written down, it's all in my head.

A few things:

If I have it, I use homemade stock (beef, chicken, turkey -- doesn't really matter. it adds body). If not, I use canned or I just throw some roasted pork or beef marrow bones in.

I rarely use all beef. Sometimes all pork, but most often a pork-beef mixture, heavier on the pork.

I use lots of ground, unsweetened chocolate.

Lots and lots of garlic.

I don't usually make it too hot -- I'll use a lot of sweet paprika in addition to conventional chili powder (ancho, chipolte and/or regular supermarket chili powder). For those who want heat, I'll chop up some fresh jalepenos and people can add that to their bowls as needed. And there's a bottle of Tabasco on the table.

Wife likes beans, so I make it with beans. I prefer it without, but not for purist reasons. Black beans and pintos, no kidneys. If I plan a day ahead (no given), I soak dried beans overnight instead of using canned.

I never cook it less than four hours. Usually six.

Lately instead of stovetop, I bake it in the oven in a Le Creuset dutch oven and I think it comes out a lot better.

Carmelize the onions and peppers to start. Brown the meat, deglaze the bottom of the pan with some stock. The brown stuff adds a depth of flavor.

7. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Thanks all! Much appreciated!

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Best office moment ever.

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Tom Petty really does have a fantastic recipe, and I love spup's as well.

Too bad I quit meat.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's only bad for you :)

Does anyone make chili during the summer? I just can't do it. Gotta be in the winter.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If you lived in Florida or Arizona, you would never make chili?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Damn good point. I'm sure I would. I've just always lived in places were it got cold enough in the winter to make it. Never lived in Florida or Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted