1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chili Recipes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StormSurge, May 6, 2009.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I always seem to notice SJers commenting on their wonderful chili. I'd like to surprise the better half some night & make a batch for her instead of the other way around.

Anyone care to share their recipes?

Thanks!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a crock pot or a slow cooker? That's what I do mine in. ...

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hand.

4. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Crock pot.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Crock pot. And I use turkey meet and beans instead of ground beef because I ate too much bacon during the super bowl one time.

I use pinto beans and kidney beans.

Also, I add in chopped green and red peppers, onions, diced tomatoes (canned usually) and chilli powder.

Top it off with sour cream, some red hot and cheese.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Paging Petty.....(who gave me the best chili recipe I've ever used)

7. The Big Ragu

Well, this is vegetarian (I got heavy on kidney beans). You can probably modify it to add meat. I like it because it is spicy (love spicy food), tasty, vegetarian and there is no added fat. I also don't really have a recipe. I do it more by feel... If you mix this all up and it won't all fit in your crock pot, you can freeze the leftovers and then defrost and make another batch some other time. Also, this refrigerates really well after you cook it. It is better after a day sitting in the fridge. Mix this stuff up in a large mixing bowl and then cook about 8 hours on low in a crock pot:

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (the kind without basil added)
    1 1 lb 13 oz can plus 1 15 oz, can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (you can use dry kidney beans you soak overnight instead)
    1 10 oz packages of mushrooms (slice em up)
    1 large yellow onion diced up
    1 large green pepper sliced up
    1 large red pepper sliced up
    2 large jalapeno peppers sliced up
    6 to 10 cloves of garlic minced
    1 15 oz can of cut corn (you can use frozen corn instead)
    3/4 cup of chili powder (not an exact measurement… I just pour it in and judge by how it looks)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup of ground cumin (same deal… not an exact measurement. I go heavy on the cumin, though)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup of Sriracha sauce (Chinese/Korean chili sauce… This stuff is key. I don’t really measure. Just squeeze it in from the bottle)
    2 to 4 bay leaves
    4 or 5 tablespoons of red pepper flakes (not an exact measurement. I go heavy on the flakes)
    Salt/ freshly ground pepper to taste

You can add cornmeal and/or cilantro, too. They work really well.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Awesome! Thank you Ragu!

Is this that sauce?

I love that Sriracha sauce, but I like this better.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/garlic.htm

Do you think that would be a good substitute or should I get the sauce. (I haven't had Sriracha in the house since I found the other stuff.)

Thanks again!

9. The Big Ragu

I've used both of those Hoy Fong sauces. I really prefer starting with a base of the Sriracha sauce and building around it. The Sriracha is so versatile. You can add it to almost anything to give a little flavor.

That chili-garlic sauce is a bit sweeter and obviously is very garlicky. It's OK for a stir fry, thinned out with some soy sauce, but I am not sure about for chili. It could be too sweet and garlicky. But if you think it will work, why not give it a try?

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Thanks! I'll go with the Sriracha first. You're the expert! If I can make a halfway decent batch eventually, I'll start tinkering. :D

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There are no beans in chili.

12. The Big Ragu

This is going to give you a heart attack. I sometimes add garbanzo beans, in addition to the kidney beans.

Draft saved Draft deleted