1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children should experience this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kickoff-time, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

School isn't the place for costumes. It's a complete distraction. My wife's school doesn't do costumes on Halloween, and it has nothing to do with "political correctness." There's a time and a place for Halloween costumes, and it's at night between 5 and 7 or 6 and 8, or at a Halloween party. Not school.

Also - not kids, but there is nothing more annoying than adults wearing Halloween costumes to work. I always dread going to the office that day because it makes me feel like I work in a total Mickey Mouse business.

Love the post on wiffle ball, though. My brother and I and the neighbor boy used to play it for hours on end in the backyard. When we got a little older, we would instead play home run derby (real balls and bats) at the Little League field. If we had enough kids together, we'd actually play real games. Right field out.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is it possible to post on this thread without sounding like Spnited? :)

Costumes are a distraction at school? Not when I was in school they weren't. And where I grew up, kids can still safely ride their bikes to and from school and/or practice. Depends on where you grew up.

How old is too old to play wiffle ball?

3. Dick Whitman

We played in college all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You're never too old for wiffle ball. However it becomes less fun when you realize you hit the crap out of the ball and it just dies in the air. I think all wiffle balls have a governor on them that keeps them from travelling as far as they should. Of course, that did help growing up when I'd pull one into the woods behind my parent's house. It didn't help when I'd turn around and hit left handed and try to pull it on top of my parent's house in right field.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Never been to a circus. And I'm 50. Don't think I missed anything. Don't wanna go.
    My dad took me to a ton of ballgames -- MLB, HS football, HS hoops, etc. Couple of NFL games, as tickets were harder to get. Even a rodeo once.
    Never a circus. Totally cool with that.

6. Dick Whitman

We would hit it toward our two-story fraternity house. If you put one through the upstairs bathroom window, that was a grand slam AND a case of beer. Hit the house over the point where the siding changed and it was a double. Over or onto the roof was a home run.

Oh, and to answer the original question:

(1) Going to the Fourth of July parade.
    (2) Hitting an over-the-fence home run in a Little League game.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

What does it matter? There's not going to be any jobs left when they grow up anyway.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no such thing as too old to play Wiffle Ball.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Scraped knees, losing, winning, bodysurfing.

Off-topic: When y'all had awards, was there ever one for Creepiest Thread Title? I was a wee bit afraid to click on this one.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Kinda what I was getting at, old man.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Learning to swim, and doing it well enough to enjoy the water.

Horseback riding. There is something very empowering, yet humbling, about directing a 1,200-pound animal that you understand doesn't have to do as you ask but that does it, anyway.

12. Elementary school should only have to be painfully boring and structured for 179 of those 180 days.

Draft saved Draft deleted