1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children should experience this ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kickoff-time, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

So my son's friend, about 9, said he had never been to a circus (and not the LeBron kind) in his life.

I thought it was kinda sad and wondered what else every kid in America should experience at least once despite religious, moral, cultural or other differences they or their parents might have or things in your childhood that are now banned.

Another one that immediately came to mind was trick-or-treating and Halloween costumes. They are banned from our kids' school even for kindergartners because of political correctness or something similar.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've always thought that every kid should see the Harlem Globetrotters play. I'm hoping to take my kids next winter.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

You ever . . . been to the circus?

4. kickoff-time

Yes that is on my list ... Every kid should get a talkin' to from Peter Graves. Alas, he died earlier this year, so now it really is Mission: Impossible.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I actually saw a group of kids playing Wiffle Ball in the street the other day.
    Imagine, suburban kids playing ball in the street with no uniforms, no parents, no coaches, no structure. Just fun.
    What a concept!

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They could get hurt.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Parents who love them, care for them, protect them. Anything else is just variations of those three.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What, no particiation trophies? You mean they might (gulp) lose?

(blue font for safety purposes only)

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The sense of freedom I had riding my bike to school or to a game/practice is something my kids will never experience, alas. A large part of that sense of freedom was that I was able to come home an hour or two later than I was supposed to, and the Police helicopters weren't out looking for me.

Regarding the start of the thread, however, I took my kids to the circus a few years ago and it was one of the most depressing experiences you could imagine.

10. kickoff-time

Just curious why the circus was so depressing? My kids had a blast and it seemed to bring a sense of wonder to them. They talked about it for a while, especially the motorcycle daredevil - yeah I know imagine subjecting my kids to such danger - and it was a lot cheaper than say Disneyland, which is an entirely different thread.

Kids in our neighborhood rides their bikes to school in a group, but I know what you mean.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

experience a drive-in movie and a ride in the back of a station wagon or even a pick-up truck.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I remember playing sandlot baseball in junior high. The dimension reminded me of the L.A. Coliseum.

Also remember riding in the back of pickups as a little kid. Or just being allowed to roam a pretty wide area as long as I didn't cross main streets. We had everything in that square mile.

We were spoiled in my suburb of Phoenix. The city sponsored summer rec programs at all of the schools, and we could get bussed to the swimming pool every day, go to the driving range once a week, plus go bowling and roller skating on a regular basis for a buck. Hardly saw my parents during the summer, even with a stay-at-home mom.

Draft saved Draft deleted