1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Children of Men. See it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Billy Monday, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sooooooooo, should I watch it?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It was good.

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

SPOILERS...
    I just think you must have missed big key sections of dialogue that really clued us in on what was going on.
    I'll spell some of it out for you. This is strictly from one viewing of the movie:
    Remember Clive Owen's character suggesting they go public with the baby?
    The rebels fighting the fascist government wanted to kill him for even suggesting it. They wanted to use the baby as a flag for their cause. There is a civil war going on. It is a fascist police state where immigrants (mostly people of color it seems) are caged like animals and deported.
    Suddenly, an immigrant woman of color is pregnant with mankind's first baby in 18 years.
    Owen's instinct told him to make the baby public, thinking it would represent such hope for the future that nobody would dare touch them. He was right and he was wrong.
    He was right, as we saw when the fascist soldiers stopped fighting for five minutes when the baby appeared in the war zone. The soldiers were in awe and let the couple and baby pass through without gunfire.

But he was wrong in that fighting continued. Ultimately, because mankind was too self-involved in politics and fighting, he realized he couldn't trust anybody. Thus they sought this "Human Project," an apparently nonpartisan human rights organization.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sheesh, Billy.

Some of us weren't wowed by it. Some of us thought it had more holes than the Bush's Iraq plan. Get over it.

None of us are suggesting you're nuts because you lovelovelove it.

Can't you be satisfied that it was great for you instead of treating the people who don't share your feeling like they're a bunch of dumbasses who don't "get it"?

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Just saw it...quite good. Reminds me a lot of a Kubrick movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted