1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Childhood favorites

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dargan, Sep 17, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

My 4-year-old neice loves Scooby Doo. We have nearly the entire DVD collection. It's funny to hear her ask to watch "the one with Don Knotts".

And she recently discovered Wonder Woman, so I bought Season 1 for her on ebay.
    Opening shot in the pilot is of a swatstika, as it was set in WWII German, if you'll recall.

I was horrified.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

When I was growing up, I loved the Warner Bros. cartoons. Upon the birth of my child, I bought the entire collection because I knew this was something we would share.

She hates 'em. Never would watch them, so thay have been in the back of the cabinet gathering dust for 19 years.

She was a big fan of the previously mentioned Nick shows, which I liked too, so we had that going for us. She was actually selected to play a game on stage at a live Wild and Crazy Kids show.

And got to throw a pie in her fathers face at the Universal Studios Nickoldeon show.

So, Nick's been good to us.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Weird, but I never was into the toons — Saturday mornings usually involved peewee whatever was in season. By the time I was in third grade, I'd pretty much moved on. The Smurfs were freaking everywhere but I didn't get it.

I grew up instead with the B&W live action classics that came on weekday mornings before school — Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston, Three Stooges, Little Rascals. Stuff that was old when my dad was a kid. We lived in the country and didn't get cable.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Where's the love for Captain Kangeroo? The Captain, and Mr. Green Jeans, ruled... Land of the Lost, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry.....Space Ghost (the original)....gawd, the absolute joy of a Peanuts special at night because cartoons were never on at night!

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

SNARF!

I watched this alone for hours with the bedroom door locked with my sister.

I could never see real well, so I identified with the old man.

We're the Chipmunks!

I liked KITT better than The Hoff back then.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Where's JR? He'll appreciate this:

Mr. Dressup

The Friendly Giant

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Woody Woodpecker

Bugs Bunny

Tom and Jerry

Pink Panther

The Three Stooges

Schoolhouse Rock

Damn, they don't make cartoons or shows like that anymore. Not even close.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Wacky Races.

Was a Peter Perfect fan, but also intrigued by Penelope Pitstop and her Compact Pussycat.

Underdog

One of the all time great villians in Simon Bar Sinister

Tennessee Tuxedo

A penguin, a walrus and the voice of Don Adams equals cartoon comedy gold.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In order:

I loved the Snork. They were incredible.

I still love Punky Brewster. I just watched the episode where Zack Morris, the new heart-throb (obviously), goes after Margeaux before dropping her for Punky -- but doesn't get her; an unhappy and totally unrealistic ending. But it was a good show. I bought my best friend the first season for Festivus a few years ago. We used to rock out to the theme song all the time. There's a killer baseline around the 40-second mark.

I had Smurf sheets. Papa Smurf was my favorite.

And I had all the Fraggle Rock toys from McDonalds. How can anyone survive by eating glass? I'll never understand that one.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Papa Smurf was not the leader of that elfish tribe. Unless they were all gay, the real power lied with Smurfette. I guaran-fucking-tee you that broad got what she wanted, when she wanted it. In fact, if they had actually existed, I dont' think Papa Smurf would've been in power for more than a week.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Psst. Smurfette was easy.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bugs Bunny, Romper Room, Sea Hunt, Little Rascals, Capt. Kangaroo, Winchell-Mahoney Time, Bowery Boys, Three Stooges, Superman, Batman, Flintstones, The Munsters, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Dragnet, Leave It To Beaver, The Honeymooners, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Heckle and Jekyll, The Jetsons, Get Smart, The Twilight Zone ....

Draft saved Draft deleted