1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child loses foot after hopping train

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Yet another example of the 'it's not my fault' trend of the last 15 years or so ... this one is sad because somehow, the mom manages to pull the race card even ...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/08/17/train-children.html?ref=rss

A child hurt while trying to jump a train had his foot amputated Thursday night, the same day Calgary workers repaired the fence he used to access the tracks.

"This has caused a little boy's life to be changed forever," Sabina Piche, mother of nine-year-old Josh, said from the Alberta Children's Hospital.

Josh Piche lost a foot after trying to hop a train in southeast Calgary.
    (CBC News) Her son, who is mentally challenged, tried to hop onto a moving freight train Wednesday in Dover, near Hubalta Road SE.

People in the neighbourhood said children are constantly trying to hop trains, and both adults and children use a hole in a fence to cross the CN Rail tracks.

While the fence was repaired Thursday, city worker Ted Gillman said he expected that by Friday morning, someone will have cut the wires.

One child told CBC News she crosses the tracks every day to go visit her cousin. She said it's a shortcut children use to get to school to shave time off their walk.

CN Rail says there is a proper crossing 500 metres away and anyone caught trespassing could be fined.

Piche said access to the tracks should be permanently blocked or, better yet, the tracks should be moved out of the residential neighbourhood.

"It's not fair for those who are minorities and have no say. So as a mother, I speak up. I would like to see the railroads removed and I don't care how much it would cost the government to do that. When you lose a life, you can't replace back that life."

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Why doesn't she tell her kid not to hop trains and then his life wouldn't have been changed?
    I love how everything is the government's fault and they should move the railroads because her kid was a dumbass and tried to jump on a moving freight train.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mom:

Beat your kid if you catch him crossing the tracks and he'll stop doing it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you lose a foot? I've lost car keys but I keep a pretty close eye on my body parts.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

"Up your ass!" /Red

Draft saved Draft deleted