1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child discipline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jul 14, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You lost me.

EDIT: Never mind. The lack of quotation marks threw me for a second.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My maw used to smack my brother and I with a yardstick that she kept behind the fridge. You could hear it echo throughout the house, and nothing made my little body tremble like hearing that thing echo coming out of its sheath.

Sometimes, I wish we lived in an age where that was still acceptable.

3. A backhand to the backside not only is not a bad idea, it's sometimes necessary in the wonderful world of child-rearing.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I lost you?
    <snicker>
    Man, I was just continuing your little sarcastic response.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Be consistent and firm.

Me personally, I don't believe in time out. I was raised with old-school discipline. Disobey, and you get your ass whipped. Simple. By the time I was a teenager, it got to where all my dad did was have to look at me, and I would shut it down.

I know from personal experience that kids who are treated with kid gloves can manipulate and get over on any adult.

I remember some advice my parents gave me, "Be the parent, not the buddy."

(On a side note - I think a lot of kids I see are well-behaved, but there is a giant segment that doesn't understand the concept of respecting adults/authority figures. Growing up, my bro. and I had to respect our parents, grandparents, and if other friends of the family/neighbors were watching us, they had the authority to whip our ass if we got out of line. I don't see that much anymore.)

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My two cents -

You screwed up the second the punishment became a negotiation. You said the punishment is "x". If she then refused, I would have dropped everything, brought her out to the mulch area and kept her out there until dark, if need be.

In this battle, the 7 year old already has the "hand" on you two.

The TV would be gone yesterday as an aside. There's never a reason for a 7 year old to have her own tv in her room.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't necessarily disagree, because I was beat by my mom and godmother when I was bad.

That being said, I find it incredibly difficult to spank my son because, just like the old saying goes, it really does hurt me more than him. In the long run.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She still hasn't agreed to the punishment,

Oy vey. You got troubles in your future. Bend over, you and Mrs. Creole are going to get your ass handed to you for the next 11 years.

9. Agreed. There never should be such a thing as "agreeing" to a punishment with your child. Who's the boss here?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, but i was chided for calling this 7-year-old a spoiled brat. riiiiight. ::) ::) ::)

11. Well, in all fairness, we don't know the child. But where there's smoke ...

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

being a spoiled brat doesn't means she's not bright or popular. just that she rules the roost and her parents. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted