1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Child care and work ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 20, 2011.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

My ex-wife and I moved away from our hometown while she was pregnant with our oldest and never moved back. My family members would *kill* for a chance to hang with my kids on an ad-hoc basis. Don't worry about asking for help.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I worked a day shift (11 a.m.-7 p.m., M-F) at the paper; Mrs. Hack worked a night shift (4 p.m.-midnight, Tu-Sa) at the same paper. Had to -- had to -- rely on grandparents four days a week when we had our first baby. The grandparents loved the opportunity to babysit for a few hours.

Never once thought about bringing a child to the newsroom, let alone a high school football game. Don't do it. Not only is it on the slightly unprofessional side, you're going to be much more distracted by an infant than you think. If you have the option of letting the grandparents help, take it. They'll probably be thrilled.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stitch won't babysit?

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Speaking as someone who has ended up watching other journalists' kids at events because "they had to bring them just this one time," please don't do this.

Even if you don't pawn your baby off on someone while there, you'll still be distracting people trying to work in the press box or on the sidelines. I would be a very nervous school coach/official if I saw a three-month-old baby on my football sidelines.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Imagine the worst few hours you've had so far with your fabulous infant. Those will happen in this situation -- at least you have to think that way. Don't do it. Even if you have to overpay for a Friday nite sitter, like the rest of us do.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Grandpa came through ... he's out of work early, will get here by six and that leaves me more than enough time to get to watch the 50-point blowout I'm going to see tonight.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

way to go grandpa!

Seriously, taking a baby to a game is just an awful idea. And anyone who said otherwise is too old to remember what it was really like when their kids were that young.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never brought little ones to games, but one time, I had to bring a baby to the newsroom because my wife had to go out of town on a family emergency. I ended up changing my shift to a day one for that, bosses were great, but I only got done about 2/3 of the work I had to do.

Mostly because everyone kept coming over and cooing over the baby.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd have to vote no with a child at that age, or even one to maybe 10-12 years old unless their maturity level if high.

Too many things can happen with a 3-month old that could impact your ability to work effectively, even if you're a weekly. If you're on the sideline you run the risk of injury. In the stands, you're battling the weather and child who may become impatient, hungry, sick, etc.

I've done this with my child when he was 5- or 6-years old. He was bored and impatient. Then it turned into "We HAVE to stay, you HAVE to be here" and sulking, trailing behind (and me having to go herd him back).

Try to find something else if possible. Tough situation, though, I know.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity how long is your Maternity leave in the States?

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Best wishes with the endeavor Rhody...that is the biggest reward of my job is that I get to set my schedule (for the most part) and it's flexible enough that I get plenty of time with the kids and we don't have to do the day care thing.

A co-worker is going the Day Care route, and I have no idea how you afford that on what we're paid. And yes, I'm selective, but the kids come to many a game with me. They seem to enjoy it. Make sure to pack some small toys and some treats. A press box might be tough...I usually end up with them crawling an empty part of the bleachers or playing in an adjoining field.

Do your best and enjoy the extra time with the kids :)

12. Hey, Larry Fitzgerald's dad always brought him along to practice to hang out with the Vikings, dammit!

(But seriously, always wondered how a situation like the Fitzgeralds' could have possibly worked ...)

Draft saved Draft deleted