1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs trade Tony Gonzalez to Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dwayne Bowe meet double team. Double team meet Dwayne Bowe.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess that thought did not appear anywhere on the Chiefs' list of reasons not to do this deal.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

A question I've always had re: trading for draft picks: Is there any kind of rule that limits how far in advance a draft pick can be traded? For example, if the teams had agreed, could the Falcons have sent a second round pick in 2020, or 2030? Or are there rules that limit how far in advance a pick can be traded?

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

A great trade for the Falcons. They've got a guy who can stretch the field and really be a factor in the red-zone passing game. Now if they can just DRAFT a defense.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Thomas still gets my vote. It's not a coincidence that KC became one of the toughest places to play when Thomas rolled into town.

The defense was the complete and total reason for the Chiefs' resurgence, and Thomas was the face of that unit. KC's quarterbacks in the 90's included Steve DeBerg, Dave Kreig, Steve freaking Bono, and Elvis Grbac-up. Plus, they let go the one truly effective QB they had, Rich Gannon.

There's no way Kansas City would've gone on that prolonged run of playoff appearances without Thomas stalking quarterbacks and turning Arrowhead into a jet engine eight times every fall.

As for Gonzalez, well, JoPo nailed it. (Shocker, huh?) And this season might well be the most impressive. I know Tyler Thigpen rarely looked elsewhere, but there was nothing else to fear on that offense. Gonzalez did what he did last season with two or more dudes draped on him every time he ventured more than 10 yards down the field.

It sucks that the Chiefs never won a playoff game with Gonzalez... but it damn sure wasn't his fault.

Draft saved Draft deleted