1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs, Royals and college credentials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by michaelbuhler, Dec 20, 2012.

1. michaelbuhler

michaelbuhler New Member

Hi, I just moved to Kansas to work at a paper in the Wichita area a few months ago and I was wondering how hard it is to get press and/or photo credentials for the "big teams" in Kansas -- the Chiefs, Royals, KU and K-State.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you have something specific to cover/shoot, apply for a credential like anyone else.

If you just want to go and cover the "big teams", don't apply.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Chiefs and Royals are not in Kansas.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Still the closest thing Wichita has to a "big team".

Used to be, when I started out, it wasn't real hard to get credentials. PR guys were happy to see us.

I worked at a paper two hours from a major market, which was idea because it was close enough to go to games yet we were out of the shadow of the major metros. Our boss was a really good guy and said as long as (1) we got our local stuff covered and (2) we didn't pile on overtime hours, we could get credentials and go to the pro or major college games as often as we wanted. It helped us individually and made the paper better in the process.

Michael, I would talk to your editor first and see what the paper's policy was. If he/she gives you the green light, then contact the PR guy or SID before the season starts and explain your situation.

5. Don't work for free.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The stadiums are on the Missouri side, but it was a bi-state tax that built them, so Kansans have a claim. Sporting KC is on the Kansas side if you are interested in MLS.

Michael, if you are looking for opportunities to get some clips and experience covering "big-time" sports you should think about Wichita State basketball and maybe even baseball this spring. Those are solid programs and there should be some interesting stories and I bet the SIDs would be happy to have somebody other than the Eagle showing interest. You are also going to save yourself a lot of time and money if you aren't getting paid or reimbursed.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The teams are not in Kansas.

8. Jake_Taylor

The Giants aren't in New York either.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And I would call someone out for saying, "I want to cover the big teams in New York such as the Giants and Jets."

I have nothing against Kansas. But our wide-eyed reporter should know what he wants to cover.

10. BrianM

BrianM Member

chiefsmedia.com is the contact site to contact the Chiefs PR people to apply for credentials, and from my experience, credentials for those games aren't particularly difficult to get. (Of course, it helps that the Chiefs are terrible this year....)
    I'm sure the Royals and Jayhawks have similar sites. Call the Royals PR people and the Kansas SID people and ask.

11. Jake_Taylor

I didn't include the Jets because they at least have offices in New York. What about the Washington Redskins? Practice in Virginia, play games in Maryland. :)

Michael phrased it poorly saying he wanted to cover the Chiefs and Royals in Kansas. He should have said he wanted to cover the big Kansas teams, including the Chiefs and Royals. Those are Kansas teams just as much as the Giants are a New York team and the Redskins are a DC team, even if the games are in a different part of the metro.

12. Jake_Taylor

My experience with KU basketball is you should be able to get credentialed most games, but unless you have a season pass it could be tougher with a big name opponent coming to the Fieldhouse. Those games tend to attract more national media and NBA scouts. You might get a credential but be stuck up in the corner or even back in the media work room watching on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted