1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs make a hire: Todd Haley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You're clearly the one here with knowledge of the situation. Herm didn't want to keep those ancient bastards when he first took the job. He kept em and rode LJ to the playoffs where they were embarrassed. Then Carl foolishly refused to rebuild that offseason because he thought he could squeeze another playoff run out of them and things completely fell apart. The rebuilding just started last season. I'm not a Herm fan at all, but it was definitely Carl's fault.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Marty Hurney will probably slap the franchise tag on Peppers to keep the Panthers from losing him for no compensation.

I get your dream - don't blame you - but just sayin'.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That's only if the Panthers can sign Gross first. Seems to me he's more important for the team's success.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd be happier getting Gross as a FA than Peppers :D

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh yeah. Especially on a team with a young QB.

6. Sam Mills 51

Jordan Gross is the primary focus. Get him signed, see what's left and tag Julius Peppers, then try to get him dealt around draft day. Make picks and go after some second- and third-tier free agents to fill the roster.

It's not like Marty Hurney is keeping any of this a serious secret.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Especially since the AP had a story today laying out Carolina's plans.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Do those plans include drafting/signing a quarterback?

9. Sam Mills 51

No on drafting one, unless it's a late-round project?

Signing? Depends on what's out there and if the coaching staff thinks it's a major upgrade over Josh McCown and Matt Moore without rocking the boat.

Jake Delhomme is still the starter. One really bad game in the playoffs isn't changing things that much, no matter what the detractors think.

Pall, I hear you, but The Charlotte Observer has a little more in resources and insight. Mike Cranston does a solid job for AP - as did Jenna Fryer and Joe Macenka before him - but gotta go with the Observer on this one.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Couldn't have said it better

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Cardinals are $40M under the cap. They should forget about Boldin and concentrate on going after guys like Suggs or Asomugha.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Asomugha will get tagged.

Draft saved Draft deleted