1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefs make a hire: Todd Haley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon, Feb 6, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cassell has Moss and Welker as targets, plus a line that has won a Super Bowl. You really do not know what he will look like if those pieces are taken away.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, he's not. Especially in the Chiefs' case, where you're picking third overall at the top of each round. If they were picking 32nd each round, maybe he would be worth a first- and second-round pick. But to the Chiefs, he's not, especially with so many holes they need to fill through the draft.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But...but...Cassel is a god among men? No. Even better than that. He is the NFL version of Tebow! (crossthreading).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

New England isn't going to trade Cassel unless it knows Brady is healthy.

I think Cassel is Rob Johnson all over again. In the right situation, he succeeds. Put him on a bad team and he'll be as bad as the lack of talent around him.

There's no way I would give up a No. 1 and a No. 2 for Cassel, but some team might.

5. Mizzougrad96

Also, if Pioli/Haley are willing to wait a year, they'll probably have a very good shot at Cassel via free agency. New England won't tag him two years in a row. The NFL has some rule where you can't tag someone just for the purpose of trading them.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But what happens if Brady rolls into training camp and his status is still unknown, but after the a few weeks it's obvious he is healthy enough to play?

The Pats are now holding, what, 28 million in cap space on one position?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good point about waiting a year, because the Chiefs will need some time to get all the parts they need to be a contender again. No need to overpay now. Cassel to a team like the Lions (who can trade the first-round pick they got for Roy Williams) still makes more sense.

8. Mizzougrad96

New England should try to sign Cassel to a two-year deal right now. It would help cushion the cap hit and then they would actually be in a position to get something for Cassel when Brady comes back.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm not sold on Thigpen just yet, but I'm also not ready to kick him to the curb. I'd like to see KC trade Tony G for Matt Leinart and let the two of them duke it out for the top gig.

Draft Aaron Curry in the first round, Chase Coffman in the second and sign Julius Peppers.

Hey, a kid can dream, can't he?

10. Mizzougrad96

Leinart doesn't have the desire to make it in the NFL, at least not yet. He needs to be humbled a few more times and then feel like he has something to prove. I could see him being really good in three years or so after he's been released once or twice.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Like I said, though, let Leinart and Thigpen push each other. It's time the Chiefs officially cut ties with Croyle, anyway.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Isn't that what I pretty much said? That we would know in five years if this was a good hire?

Draft saved Draft deleted