1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chiefland, Fla.: Reporter (Sports/General Assignments)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.lcni.com/jobs/index.php

The Chiefland Citizen, a 4,000-circulation weekly in Chiefland, Fla., is seeking a sports/general assignment reporter. The position's primary responsibility is to cover sports activities in Levy County. The job includes writing stories, related photography work and pagination of the sports pages. Some pagination and proofing of other pages in the paper is also included. This position also entails general assignment reporting. The successful candidate must be a strong writer, a good photographer and be familiar with a broad range of prep and youth sports. They must be able to write game stories as well as features, be organized, able to meet deadlines and a stickler for accuracy. A degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience, is preferred. In addition to good photography skills, qualified candidates should have knowledge of Photoshop, Quark layout software, AP style and libel law. Candidates must have a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle. This position requires considerable night and weekend work. Interested persons should contact Lou Elliott Jones, Editor, at editor@chieflandcitizen.com Click here to view full details

http://www.lcni.com/jobs/fulljobs/SportsGeneralAssignmentReporterChieflandCitizen.txt

JOB POSTING

Sports/General Assignment Reporter
    Chiefland Citizen
    Chiefland, Florida

The Chiefland Citizen, a 4,000-circulation weekly in Chiefland, Fla., is seeking a
    sports/general assignment reporter. The position's primary responsibility is to
    cover sports activities in Levy County. The job includes writing stories, related
    photography work and pagination of the sports pages. Some pagination and
    proofing of other pages in the paper is also included. This position also entails
    general assignment reporting. The successful applicant must be a strong writer, a
    good photographer and be familiar with a broad range of prep and youth sports.
    They must be able to write game stories as well as features, be organized, able to
    meet deadlines and a stickler for accuracy.

QUALIFICATIONS:
    � Good writing and interviewing skills
    � Degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience preferred
    � Good organization and time management skills
    � Good photography skills and knowledge of Photoshop
    � Knowledge of Quark layout software
    � Knowledge of spelling, grammar, AP style and libel law

ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
    � Write crisp, accurate and compelling stories, headlines and photo captions
    � Write a mixture of game stories and feature stories for the weekly sports pages
    � Develop relationships with area coaches to facilitate the flow of information to
    the newspaper
    � Shoot clear and interesting photos
    � Design and lay out weekly sports pages
    � Design and lay out other pages, as needed
    � Write copy and lay out the sports preview sections
    � Serve as a backup for other members of the news team

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
    � Must have a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle.

WORK SCHEDULE:
    This position requires considerable night and some weekend work.

Interested persons should apply to: Lou Elliott Jones, Editor
    Chiefland Citizen
    PO Drawer 980
    Chiefland, FLA. 32644
    Email: editor@chieflandcitizen.com

Notify your immediate supervisor and LCNI Human Resource Director if making
    application. Deadline for applications is November 12, 2010.

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER

2. I know nothing of this paper but I know a bit about the area. Chiefland itself is a boring and tiny town, but you're probably 45-60 minutes from Gainesville and 20 minutes from some decent fishing in the Gulf and a few beaches. When I worked in that region of the state a few years ago, Dixie County High had some decent Class 2A (or was it 2B?) football with a couple of pretty good running backs rotating through there, but I don't know what the state of things is now.

This would probably be a good opportunity for someone old enough to know what they're getting into at a small weekly or a University of Florida J-school grad looking for a first job in the area, of which there should be plenty if they're not too picky. There are a handful of high school football teams out that way that the Gainesville Sun covers most weeks (Dixie County, Bronson, Bell, Trenton, Williston, possibly Newberry) and you might even cross paths with the Citrus County Chronicle, so you would get a chance to go head-to-head with those guys and add some decent stuff to a portfolio.

The rest of my knowledge of Chiefland consists of horror stories from a friend who works as a manager at the Walmart there and what I have gathered while avoiding eye contact with the weirdos inside of the Huddle House I occasionally stop at on trips that take me through there. But let's face it: every Walmart and Huddle House in America are ripe with crazies, so don't let that factor into your decision.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Filled, in case you were wondering.

Draft saved Draft deleted