1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chief sports designer/copy editor, Bend, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Oct 2, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from journalismjobs.com

http://www.bendbulletin.com

The Bulletin is seeking an experienced designer and copy editor who will play a lead role in the daily production of the sports section as part of a staff of eight full-time sports reporters and editors.

The successful candidate will possess the skills to assemble a visually appealing and smart-reading section in a deadline-oriented environment and will have strong editing skills and a grasp of Associated Press style. Other requirements include pagination skills, along with the ability to write story-selling headlines, challenge and improve both wire and local copy, and make sound news decisions. Digital savvy is important.

Knowledge of a wide range of sports is essential. Experience with DTI, InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator is preferred. Must be willing to work night and weekend shifts. A bachelor's degree and daily newspaper experience are required.

Candidates should have a comprehensive understanding of crafting compelling design and layout for the print product and also be able to conceptualize multimedia components that might complement print stories, including video, audio and slideshow elements.The ideal candidate will have experience using online communication technologies, including Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.

We are an independent, family-owned newspaper with a daily circulation of 34,000. We are located in Bend, a vibrant Central Oregon city of 80,000 surrounded by snow-capped mountains and boundless outdoor recreation opportunities.

The Bulletin is a drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer.

Please send all inquiries via email to Bulletin sports editor Bill Bigelow: bbigelow@bendbulletin.com.

To apply, please email cover letter, resume, references and relevant work samples to: sportsdesk@bendbulletin.com
    or mail to:
    The Bulletin
    Attn: Marielle Gallagher
    P.O. Box 6020
    Bend, OR 97701

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Paper with a good reputation. A bit isolated in the middle of the state (about 3 hours out of Portland), but good place for outdoor thrill seekers.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll second this ... we have traded stories with them at my shop and they're reliable folks to work with.

Heavy-duty mountain biking/outdoors area in central Oregon, so if you're into that, go for it.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Been there quite a few times. Pretty decent paper, although has gotten smaller in recent years. You can get pretty much anything you need or want in Bend/Redmond, but once outside the city limits, it's a pretty long drive to anywhere else. You have to cross the mountains (on mediocre roads) to get to Eugene, Salem or Portland.

5. toivo99

toivo99 Member

Applied. Seems like a pretty sweet gig. Although Bend looks like it's more expensive than it should be.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. Resort town close to Mount Bachelor.

7. DG

DG New Member

I am the one vacating the job...happy to answer questions or talk to anyone who is applying.

Not offering the following to discourage anyone from applying -- just in the interest of full disclosure. We have been operating under two furlough days a month for years, and there's not much sense that that's going to change.

It is a good job to build your portfolio. And Bend is an awesome place to live. I am leaving journalism but found a job in town because my wife and I didn't want to leave.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

I guess it wouldn't be a honeymoon resort... Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

Draft saved Draft deleted