1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chick-fil-A PR goes Rogue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My cousin David is the closest thing I have to a brother. David is gay and we've kn.own this since before junior high. I was at the dinner table for support when he came out to his father.

I am pro gay marriage.

If there was a Chick-fil-A within 100 miles of where I live, I'd eat there tomorrow...

I think Chick-fil-A's stance is just as idiotic as Oreo putting out a rainbow-colored cookie.

But I like Oreos and I like Chick-fil-A so I will continue to buy oreos and continue to go to Chick-fil-A, even though I haven't been to one in about five years...

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Leaving aside the Godness of it, there is nothing that says America more than eating a greasy but delicious processed meat product. I just hope everyone also orders a 32-ounce soda and for God's sake doesn't try to walk to the restaurant.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Chik Fil A is spending millions to help prevent gay marriage. As a personal matter, it's not clear to me how you'd reconcile that with what you just typed.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/chick-fil-a-anti-gay-group-donations-_n_1644609.html

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Don't want to speak for Mizzou but the way I see it is there are so many companies and products that take an anti-gay marriage stance, or a pro-gay marriage stance or any number of thousands of other political and social stances that I for one would rather just care about the products themselves and not on the politics.
    I go to CFA for the spicy chicken, not a spicy argument about same-sex marriage.
    Now, if CFA starts putting up posters about the sinfulness of gay marriage and I get a card talking about hell and the like when I open my nuggets then I may have to rethink my stance.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I wasn't asking about politics.

My point was how do you weigh that personal friendship against the patronage of an institution that wants to deny your friend the same rights you enjoy?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The way I see socially responsible spending is, if you've ever bought or worn a diamond, everything else is totally useless and trivial.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

after reading the man's words in the huffington post last week, i wouldn't give that cat a dime of my money if he gave me chicken infused with vodka and diet dr pepper in return.

8. Locally, our Chick-fil-A owners are super, super nice people. Very community oriented. They donate time, money and food to dozens of events and causes.
    Two or three times a year the owner's wife will bring in gobs of free food for the paper.
    They also heavily support a local christian school.

Do I think they support gay-marriage? No.
    Do I think they would come out and sya such a thing? No. Or make do something to generate negative publicity or split the community? No.
    Are we going to do a story asking them about the chikc-fil-a controversy? Hell no.
    Will I eat at their stores? You know ... prolly not.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Woop! Woop! Woop! Red flag alert! Red flag alert!

10. [​IMG]

"Chick-Fil-A has spent millions fighting the legalization of gay marriage. Apparently they forgot to tell this guy." -- Jon Stewart

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The only business I actively boycott is BP. The day they ruined the Gulf, I swore I wouldn't be back until they cleaned up their mess. Still lots of oil under the surface screwing things up, no matter what the ads tell you.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, right now, it's just BP and Chick-fil-A for me. I don't really do a lot of "protesting" but the sheer arrogance of the Chick-fil-A statements is what's gotten me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.