1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chick-fil-A PR goes Rogue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The opposition to the 2003 invasion of Iraq has something to do with it. Remember Freedom Fries?

Was the Target rumor based on people calling it Tar-zhe?

2. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Chick-fil-A will probably sell even MORE chicken sandwiches among its base customers now, who reside mostly in the midwest and south. The folks in Boston and Chicago might be outraged, but there won't be many in Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia/etc. who change their eating habits. They might even buy an extra 6-pack of nuggets for the kiddies.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There was an ad campaign in the '80s that joked about confusion that the store might be pronounced "Tar-ZHAY," as the French might. Was meant to imply the high-quality nature of their clothing selections.

I would not be surprised at all to learn that ad was the source of the rumor.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Holy Shit. You have some tissue issues.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yesterday was National Eat at Chick-Fil-A Day.

http://www.nomblog.com/25694/

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also, there was a lot of talk about boycotting Snapple post-9/11 because of a bin Laden connection.

7. cortez

cortez Member

They can use the leftovers for skeet shootin. Pull!

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Love CFA, always will.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I believe there was a campaign among loyal customers to promote Target as the "chic" alternative to Walmart. Along with that came pronouncing the store "tar-JAY", which of course is how target would be pronounced in French.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The only Chick-fil-A in my county was in a decrepit mall that closed about two years ago. Now I'd have to drive 45 minutes to get to one. Just glad I don't have make that decision, because I LOVE their food.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stuff like this happens all the time. Famous barbecue guy in my home state a few years ago decided to make a stand on the Confederate battle flag. He had a really good sauce that sold really well in all the major grocery chains. Then those chains -- among them Wal-Mart -- decided that that sauce didn't sell nearly well enough to justify the headache. The names change but the story -- left, right or center -- stays the same.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a nation of citizen-consumers, product boycott may be the most effective vote we have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.