1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Sep 5, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

The upper deck is fine these days, but if you get tickets for those seats, you're stuck there. You want lower level so you can roam around the whole park and see the game from whatever vantage point you want.

Also, if you go to a Sox game, not far is a Home Run Inn, which has some of the best pizza in town.

2. What do you expect? Someone wanted advice on where to visit in Chicago, and this guy offered up Bar Louie as a destination.

Yeah, be sure to check out the Chipotle and White Castle on your way through town, as well.

3. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

check out frontera grill for some outstanding classic and contemporary mexican.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Try this place: http://www.twinanchorsribs.com

Get there early. If there's a line, put your name on the list and walk down the street to the left. There's a great little neighborhood martini bar that serves some mean snails in a beet sauce. Twin Anchors will call down to the bar and tell you when your table's ready.

For activities, there's a decent stained glass museum on the Pier.

5. This was just what I was going to suggest. Ribs come fast once you're seated.

If you happen to make it to Wrigleyville, try the Gingerman Tavern. It's a great hangout place, without the meatmarkety feel of a lot of the other bars in the area.

Highly recommend Kingston Mines as a late-night hangout over Buddy Guy's, not to knock the namesake. Better crowd and atmosphere.

Original Uno's is great, but it takes 45 minutes to make the pizza. If you're eating during the peak periods, place an order before you're starving and walk around for a bit. Michigan Avenue's got a lot going on a few blocks north, and Jazz Record Mart is just a couple blocks North, which is a must-see if you're into jazz.

Also, it's Buona Beef, not Bueno.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll do my best to hit as much as possible. The information is invaluable.

Cheers!

7. longgone

longgone Member

Field Museum is superior. And try a river architectural cruise. Good way to see the city in comfort.

8. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Please, please, please...for all that is good and holy. Do NOT go to Goose Island Wrigleyville!!! Go to the original location on Clybourn, which will sadly be closing soon. It's where the majority of the brewing (at least of the small creative batches) are done. They have decent food there. If they have Juliet (a Flanders-style ale brewed with blackberries, IIRC) on, don't miss it. One fabulous and complex brew! Any of their Reserve series brews are good (Matilda, Pere Jacques, Bourbon County Stout).

Piece, on North Ave., makes really solid beers and NY-style pizza. It's at least partially owned by Cheap Trick guitarist Rick Nielsen.

Rock Bottom downtown has some fans (not the chain's menu beers but the brewer's specials), but everything I have had from there is mediocre. Just my two cents.

Out in Warrensville, Two Brothers Brewery is damn solid, and in the southern burbs a stop at Flossmoor Station is a must. If you wanted to head just a mile or two across the Indiana border Three Floyds in Munster may well make some of the best beers in the country.

Top-notch beer bars include the aforementioned Hopleaf, the Belgian-influenced Map Room and Clark Street Ale House.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why would you send him out to the sticks?

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I am not sending anyone anywhere. As far as I know this ain't Russia...yet.

The OP asked about the best brewpubs in the area and I gave him the options of the best in the area.

Free will can have Pastor go wherever he wants. Even in Chicagoland.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's quite a trip from downtown, though. Which is where I think Pastor is going.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Thanks to the Brothers Blues. That was my point. Why not recommend a place in Naperville or Highland Park while you're at it?

Draft saved Draft deleted