1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Sep 5, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The Drake is where Miles got a cup of hot chocolate for $5 in "Risky Business." Adam's Ribs (Dearborn?) is where Hawkeye and Trapper ordered by mail (but forgot the cole slaw) in an episode of "M*A*S*H." The Honorable Richard J. Daley plaza (where that Picasso is) sits between Sears and Hancock about halfway. That's all I have for the movie/TV tour, since I can't remember where Ferris Bueller and his friends dined as Abe Froman.

The Berghoff has world-class German food. Bacino's on Lincoln is my choice for Chicago pizza. Ranalli's is in the same general area as Bacino's and is the best Italian I've had. And the Fire now play in Bridgewater, a fur piece from the Loop.

Have fun!

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'll be at Toyota Park but it won't be for the Fire.

I'll probably go with the touristy deep dish. I can get brick oven and thin crust pizza here in North Jersey. I do appreciate the suggestion though in case other people that are with me are interested in something different.

3. tmr

tmr Member

I always recommend a trip to Old Town/southern Lincoln Park. If you're there on a weekend, watch football/baseball at Gamekeepers, walk through Old Town back streets, lunch or dinner at Twin Anchors on Sedgwick, a show at Second City (touristy but hilarious).

Other, non-touristy things to do:

Music at the Hideout
    Went to a good dinner, out of the way, at Old Oak Tap in West Town
    Dinner at Hopleaf in Andersonville (far north side)
    If you're into watching sports on your vacation, there is a bar for every team, pro or college, in Lincoln Park/Wville.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's fair and just that the goddamn chain just filed for bankruptcy, as what those out-of-town clowns did in the name of Uno's was criminal.
    But the original Uno/Due outlets remain faithful to the true cross.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The original is a completely different pizza. I didn't know the chain went bankrupt though.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

No Coke. Pepsi!

7. In reality, it's the other way around.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Understanding that this a nice joke aimed at Pallister among others, gotta disagree with this one.

I was driving through Chicagoland last summer and stopped off to see a very good friend for a few days. She's a Tigers fan - and Michigan native - and I went to see a ChiSox doubleheader one day. Nice experience, neat atmosphere and there was a nice underrated Chicago sports store just blocks away (wanted a Walter Payton authentic jersey, but they didn't have an improvement on the one I own).

It was far from an unsafe experience. Sure, I would have loved to see Wrigley Field, but the Cubs were on the road.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not a dig at pallister or anyone else. As an Indians fan, I would strongly advise against anyone visiting and giving their money to that team.

And as a human, I'd advise against anyone supporting Ozzie Guillen.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I dunno if I support Ozzie. I enjoy his occasional rant, and sometimes credit him for having the courage to say what others won't, even in obvious circumstances.

Most of the money went into Jerry Reinsdorf's pocket, anyway.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Giving you an opportunity to withdraw the above. . .

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Most terrifying walk I've had in a stadium was down from the top row of the upper deck at the ChiSox park. The turns at Talladega have less banking.

Draft saved Draft deleted