1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have a short trip coming up to Chicago. There have been some phenomenal suggestions in the past. I’m hoping for a repeat when it comes to the Windy City.

What are the places to eat?
    What are the sites to see?
    What are the brew pubs to visit?

You guys and gals are the experts.

Thank you!

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

1. Kinda subjective, because it largely depends on budget and your tastes.
    2. Sears Tower, Navy Pier, Museum of Science and Industry, Art Institute, Lincoln Park Zoo are a good baseline.
    3. Goose Island Brew Pub, near Wrigley Field.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

4. Wrigley Field.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

5. anything but a White Sox game.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Unless you want to be the only person in the crowd without an arrest on the record.

But seriously... find a place called Smoque bbq. Don't know if there is more than one. The one I visited is on the north side of the city. You can bring your own beer, and it's fantastic.

How fantastic? Well, being of proud KC origin, I can't bring myself to say that anything is better than Bryant's. But if Bryant's is No. 1, then Smoque is 1A.

Pulled pork and ribs to die for. Fresh cut fries made right there. Home made mac and cheese. I'm not a baked beans guy, but I was told they were great. Chicken was great too.. tender and juicy. Plus they have this sweet, light cole slaw that's damn near perfect.

And you won't break the bank. I paid about 850 or so for a pulled pork sandwich the size of my head, fries and a drink. Other stuff isn't too bad, either. For 15 bucks, you'll stuff yourself silly.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Gene and Georgetti's.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My favorite Chicago song is Caravan.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sadly, the Cubs aren't playing during my stay.

Now on the list!

1. My budget is subjective. If something provides good value for something I am interested in, then I have no problems paying.

2. Sears Tower is on the list and now the rest are being mapped out.

3. Nice!

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have a great trip, Pastor. I love Chicago.

If you like art at all, I would do the Art Institute and stroll Millennium Park next door.

Boat rides are cool and right near Trib Tower.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can't make a specific suggestion because the Chicago institution restaurant I went to closed a few years ago. Also, the Chicago Fire no longer play at Soldier Field.

I will say I had a great time in Chicago when I was there.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hancock Tower is more centrally located to Magnificent Mile and all that. Something to consider.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lunch with mariotti.

Draft saved Draft deleted