1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago winters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Everyone hates the Cowboys, Tommy. We rejoice in their misfortune.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Um, Pall, Mars is farther from the sun than we are. It's colder there. Just sayin'.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

As soon as I read your post, I had Elton John lyrics running through my head. "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids/In fact it's cold as hell." I meant Mercury, damnit!

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"And all this science I don't understand ..."

:)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goddamn home schooling.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

[quote author=pallister]
    I've spent a good chunk of my life in both Chicago and the Bradenton/Sarasota area. Chicago winters can suck, but occasional bone-chilling cold makes one feel alive. In Florida, it's cool when it's 75 in December and January, but the rest of the time the constant "good weather" wears on you. When most days are nice, nice days are mostly insignificant. Also, the best time of year, IMO, is early spring and late fall, but those conditions don't exist in South Florida for more than a handful of days. I'll take the renewal of the seasons and sack up during any cold spells.
    [/quote]

I grew up in Bradenton, and I never knew why everyone loved the weather in the winter and hated the hot, humid weather in the summer. I enjoy a nice, sultry day that requires three or four brews and a dip in your nearest pool/lake/gulf.

Of course, I figured this out about three months too late ... after I moved to a place with a long winter.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Waylon, I spent seven hours today getting pipes thawed out. Right now I keep hearing noises and jumping expecting water to be pouring out of a wall. It's so damn cold I wouldn't even be surprised if my windows just shattered. Every possible noise sounds like a water drip. But my car is in the garage and hasn't come close to not starting (which came in handy when I had to run to the hardware store). It's supposed to break Friday afternoon (and bring us snow, or course) but I seriously doubt I'll really get anything resembling a decent night's sleep.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I cannot live someplace that doesn't have a fairly cold winter. I hate summer. Can't stand heat. I could easily move to the Arctic and live in an igloo.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

winter is nice because it makes summer better. i guess i shouldn't bitch that it is 25 right now?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I posted on the other weather thread, but right now it's 16 degrees with no humidity and no wind. I had to look at the thermometer twice to make sure it was right because it didn't feel like it was that cold.

If it weren't 5:17 in the morning, it'd be great drinking weather.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There we go... using a female's name as a means of an insult. What is wrong with you?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Temp is -22 here ... windchill of -39.

And I'm south of Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted