1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago winters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 16, 2009.

1. For probably the first time in my life, I am seriously tempted to eventually get the hell out of here eventually (though I realize that it probably will never happen).

Anyone ever moved away from somewhere because of the weather? This is absolutely insane - 15 degrees below zero all day today. Car starts sometimes. Other times it doesn't. Part of me is proud. Part of me questions my sanity.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've never moved away from somewhere because of the weather, but I sure as hell didn't mind leaving the humidity of the South when I moved away. And I sure as hell don't mind the fact that it's been 78 degrees here without a cloud in the sky the last three days.

It's a factor, sure. Quality of life issue, IMO.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

i moved once to get back to a place with four seasons, but then i didn't like my job so i moved back to two seasons. at least i can golf in january again.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Chicago is my favorite road city. When I tell people that who live there, the answer is always the same: "That's because you only come here in the summer."

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, nothing wrong with that.

6. Sack up and deal with it, Nancy Waylon.

There were winters in Chicago when it was minus-65 with the wind chill. You didn't hear me bitching.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I once was chatting with a guy who moved from Indianapolis to St. Petersburg, and I asked him what he thought of living there. I was asking because every time I left after visits to Sarasota-Bradenton, I always felt a little down for a while because I loved the weather and the beach.

He responded something like: "I absolutely hate it. The older people drive me crazy. Everyone else has just been unfriendly. The schools are horrible, and nobody wants to pay for them. Nobody knows how to drive. ..." and about 20 other complaints.

"Wow," I said. "So you're going to move back to Indianapolis, then?"

He responded: "No way! And go back to winters?"

8. pallister

pallister Guest

But we heard Ron Santo whining. [/sorrycouldntresist]

I've spent a good chunk of my life in both Chicago and the Bradenton/Sarasota area. Chicago winters can suck, but occasional bone-chilling cold makes one feel alive. In Florida, it's cool when it's 75 in December and January, but the rest of the time the constant "good weather" wears on you. When most days are nice, nice days are mostly insignificant. Also, the best time of year, IMO, is early spring and late fall, but those conditions don't exist in South Florida for more than a handful of days. I'll take the renewal of the seasons and sack up during any cold spells.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Probably because you were burrowed under 27 blankets, Sally.

10. Um, no. In fact, I went outside to bring in groceries. It was so fucking cold my nose froze shut for five minutes after I came back in. But I dealt with it.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Thanks to global warming, these cold winters will be replaced by Marslike conditions within the next decade. OK, the Earth will actually cool while Obama is in office, but once he's gone, boiling rivers, here we come!

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm sure some would wish it was your mouth that had frozen shut :D

Draft saved Draft deleted