1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago TV reporter in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Jul 10, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thank you. They sell clothing at stores.. buy a t-shirt...

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually believe that it was a coincidence that she and her kids just happened to be dressed in bathing suits to go swimming at a club when the suspect's sister called and invited her to a pool party?

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

They should FIRE her!

I never like the brawd anyway.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dumbass, she's been fired.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

If she thought she had been treated poorly by the station in any way, if she thought this was about gender, if she thought she was just doing her job, then she would be raising hell and her attorney would definitely be raising hell.

Instead, she "negotiated her exit" and isn't saying anything, nor is her attorney. The cynical side of me says that she committed some major wrongs here.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm amazed no issue has been made of Channel 2 airing footage of the two kids (it took them awhile to digitize it). If any harm befalls those two kids from some pederast who saw them on TV, Amy's got one hell of a lawsuit.
    Are we going into a new area here - coverage of rival stations' reporters? God save the TV reporter who coaches Little League if he ever gets into an argument with an umpire - the rival station could have someone with a camera at all his games for that purpose. This could be really ugly.
    It reminds me of what the competition at my former paper once did to two of my colleagues who were living together. They had a loud spat in the driveway which resulted in a neighbor calling the police, and the cop talked to the guy after he'd been for a walk to cool off. They did not get physical, and they weren't charged. The rival paper put it in their police log the next day even though there were no arrests, just to embarass them.
    P.S.: You'll never see a female TV news personality wear a bikini again, even if she's at the beach on a day off and has left her cell phone at home.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter whether she was asked to come over, doesn't matter whether there were other adults here. What matters here is that she didn't think to be smart about it, wear her professional clothes and be in that house as an NBC employee. It never looks good to be the woman in a bikini at a house where the man's wife vanished two months ago, with the case still open.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Bingo.

If her story is true about receiving a call on the way to the pool . . ."Hello?" "Hey, wanna come over?! We're having a pool party!!" "Awesome! I'm already in my suit, and so are the kids!"

Ahem.

If that story is true, she needed to be smart and keep the t-shirt on. If that's the case, it's a visit, it's a chat, and it could be seen as being part of gathering a story. Stretching it, but I understand the concept of trying to discuss things with sources with the tape recorder off. But to join the party in her two piece was reckless because yes, there are certain things reporters must be smart about when dealing with sources of the opposite gender. And yes, that absolutely goes for males interviewing women both young and not so young.

This doesn't advance the reputation of reporters, both female and male. And that is damn sickening.

9. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

I think this reply by 21 is right on: "All you have in this business is your reputation and your judgment. Give people reason to question either, and you're not going to be around very long."

Where is her ethics? Where is her objectivity? She lost all credibility with her actions. I'm saddened that she doesn't know any better.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You dont give them a reason.... even with good intentions

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She did make a very bad decision.

What if she was at the house of a woman whose husband had vanished?

Still bad, but not as bad, and I am guessing it would not have cost her a position in a major market.

I have hit the bottle with athletes in the past, but looking back on it now, I never did that with a female athlete. When you think about it, crossing genders on these after hour or pad and pen down meetings do take a totally different slant when the opposite sexes mix.

That said, this is another hurdle, granted smaller than the others, that female sports writers have to jump.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's more a transgression as a parent than as a reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted