1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago TV reporter in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Billy Pritchard, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Sorry, and at the risk of being sexist, but that's one weak market.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. swenk

swenk Member

This has nothing to do with being married or single; the missing woman's own sister says she asked Jacobson to come over with the kids.

Saw the video, there were at least two other adults there.

She's a very attractive woman--those pictures are pretty bad--and very visible on the NBC broadcast, a tenacious and aggressive reporter. Now she's the gal with the saggy bikini top. Looks bad for the station, so she's gone.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

A few years ago, a Louisville TV morning personality landed the interview of the century when she interviewed a prisoner who had new information on a shocking Southern Indiana family murder in the 1990s. It was shocking to see her get the story because she had never reported hard news before.

It turned out that she got the story because she was having an affair with the prosecutor. To make the story even better, the "reporter" (I'm using that word liberally) was married to another TV personality at the same station.

A few months later, the TV personalities got a divorce. The reason for the divorce was never really reported, but apparently the TV husband caught wind of the affair and told her either she would fess up to the attorney's wife or he would tell the attorney's wife.

It's been a couple years since, but they still work at the same station.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought of that, spup, trying to find a way to give this woman the benefit of the doubt. But the swimsuit (and obviously being caught on tape in said swimsuit) is the smoking gun. I would hope the axe would cut the other way, with a male reporter in his trunks at the home of a woman suspect, though we all know a videotape probably wouldn't be as hot a commodity.

If the woman keeps her clothes on, she might still have her job. Tarred and feathered, perhaps, but employed. Instead, having it play out this way left her bosses no other option.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

She was already in her swimsuit to take the kids to the pool, no? Who says she even wore a top. She was planning on swimming. She's expected to be in a suit. Some women don't wear a top if they're just going to the pool.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

spup, I am very surprised to hear you say this.
    This isn't at all about gender, it's about a jpurnalist socializing with someone under investigation for a possible murder.
    Her judgement, or lack thereof, is astoundingly bad.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Gender is playing into though, Mark. I don't think a male reporter in a bathing suit gets the same sort of attention, although he's acting in an equally unethical manner (and with equally poor judgment).

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I disagree. I think a male loses his job in this case, and it raises just as many eyebrows.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I agree with mark.

And I don't know anyone who drives anywhere without a shirt and shorts on over their suit. Or at least shorts. But she's strolling around in a top and a blanket? Bull.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

I still can't believe she took her kids.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just my two cents worth...that was fucking stupid and embarassing. It's impossible to consider that a lack in judgment. "Hey, what are you doing on your day off?" "C'mon, you can bring the kids over and let them play in the pool. My wife doesn't use it anymore."

I'm kind of surprised that this story isn't getting a little run in Iowa because Stebic's sister is from here.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are you serious?? Then you go home and put on a freakin top! If she was standing in her underwear when they called her, do you suppose she'd put on clothes? She's on her way to an exclusive health club in the city, and then decides to drive an hour to the suburbs....she can't stop at home and pick up a shirt? Or run into the club and buy one?

All you have in this business are your reputation and your judgment. Give people reason to question either, and you're not going to be around very long.

Draft saved Draft deleted