1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune's Fred Mitchell is taking the buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WCIBN, Oct 30, 2015.

1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

[​IMG]

Fred Mitchell, sports columnist for the Chicago Tribune, is one of the first to announce he's decided to take the latest Tribune Publishing buyout. Fred's been then for 41 years and is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. He'll be missed. Good luck Fred.

Tribune sportswriter Fred Mitchell ending ‘terrific run’

Bronco77 likes this.
  2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I remember he started with the Tribune when I was in high school in the Chicago area, and I met him a few times in the early '80s when I'd occasionally cover Chicago events for a medium-size Midwestern paper. He and Bill Jauss were the two nicest, most down-to-earth Trib sportswriters I encountered. Covered just about everything during his long career, and did so with class.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    I Should Coco likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

In honor of Frank Ridgeway I won't be nasty here, just to say, if a newspaper really wanted to survive and thrive and a Fred Mitchell asked to take a buyout, the newspaper publisher would say, "You are so valuable Fred, please let us talk you out of this decision." But sadly we all know that's not what happened. When he agreed to accept the buyout, the higher-ups certainly rejoiced. So sad. He is one of the best writers/reporters/newspeople I've ever read/met.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll second what Bronco said about Mitchell (and Bill Jauss). Two pros who were more than willing to talk to a very green stringer a couple decades ago. Best of luck to Fred in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted