1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune: We didn't F up, but we're making changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 8, 2009.

1. VJ

VJ Member

Re: Chicago Tribune: We F'd up

I look at their A1 on a regular basis — sure there are some days where they go too refer-heavy and could use some more copy, but I'm about 100x more likely to read the Trib now than I was before. Too bad for them I don't live in Chicago.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What I'd like to know are the readers who claimed the paper was too confusing to follow. Chicago is about the only paper I know that included a strip across the top saying "you are here" and pointing out what is ahead.

There are some elements of the redo I didn't care for but overall I didn't think it was too bad. I'll be interested to see where this paper goes in the future.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Can anyone here show what the spadea looks like?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

One too many four-column, two-deck heads, huh?

5. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Our editor, Gerry Kern, responded to Fitzgerald's story. And if any of you had read the spadia, you'd wonder what Fitzgerald was reading.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13763

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, if he's not apologizing for that clusterfuck of a redesign then he certainly should be.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The title of this thread has been fixed to reflect Kern's reply back to E&P. Sales up 17 percent?? Hmm.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Gerry Kern kills his credibility when he writes in his retort to E&P that "readers are responding well to the new Tribune. In fact, voluntary sales are up 17 percent year over year since the redesign ...."

If he wanted to be taken seriously, he might have included the fact that the last few months have included two of the biggest news stories in the history of Chicago: local resident Barack Obama is elected president and the governor, who lives in Chicago, is arrested at his home.

If Kern hadn't let the cool design kids wreak havoc, circulation would be up more.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's been my experience that redesigns have little effect on circulation either way over the long term.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is today's Trib front.
    I like it, a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. pallister

pallister Guest

Five-column, two-deck head. Booooooooo!

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

THAT'S 10K? Christ. I expected at least a pro-Pantera, anti-ketchup anthem.

Draft saved Draft deleted