1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune: We didn't F up, but we're making changes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 8, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. Anyone in the Chicago area see what the publishers wrote today? They admitted the redesign was a flop. Personally, I didn't think it looked too bad, but it's definitely not your father's Trib. There will still be tinkering, but business is coming back to its own section and there will be extra local news Wednesday through Friday.

Here's the link to the story at E&P:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003928440

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Chicago Tribune: We F'd up

I'd love to hear Zell's lapdog and Bright Idea Boy explain that bit of creative suckery.

3. swenk

swenk Member

And yet today's front page is still 90% graphics/photos surrounded by maybe 150 words scattered here and there.

Not to mention the innovative jumps between sections.

4. Re: Chicago Tribune: We F'd up

I wouldn't say they 100 percent admitted it "flopped." The front still only has one story today. It looks less tabloidish than it did early on, when the Wall Street meltdown received the same dignity as US Weekly gives a Nicole Richie pregnancy rumor, but it's still not your father's Trib by any means.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Does this mean the rest of the TribCorp's changed papers will get to shitcan those "improvements" as well?

6. Re: Chicago Tribune: We F'd up

Poorly done E&P story. If you read the actual stuff they printed in the paper on that spadea, it's in support of the redesign. They got rid of the bad jumps and they are not going to use one font so much. Wow.
    The editor used most of his ink to explain again why the paper is using visuals. He explained some coverage changes, like the biz section. It WAS NOT a ripping of the redesign.

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I hope the South Florida Sun-Sentinel takes note of this letter (hint, hint).

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

When people like my parents notice that there are lot less stories and the redesign looks like crap, you know it's been a complete failure.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Am I the only one who likes the section covers since the redesign?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Would love to see the net loss/gain in circulation since the redesign?

Guaranteed, it was going to turn off X number of longtime readers. Either in direct reaction to the changed look or as a symptom, to them, that the paper again was desperate and circling the bowl, and therefore less valued.

No freaking clue, meanwhile, whether it was going to entice non-readers to suddenly become paying customers.

High risk, low reward from the start. Should have focused energies elsewhere.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I wish the readers down here had the spine and power the Chicago readers do.

12. Re: Chicago Tribune: We F'd up

I like what Crutchmer's been doing with them. Haven't seen any others.

Draft saved Draft deleted