1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune to cut 80

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thegrifter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But who can you be mad at? The Chicago sports journos? Or Zell and his thugs, who made that call? At which point, what can you do about it?

Besides, don't jump gun. Could be first wave of cuts in Chicago. Maybe they'll zap another 11 percent and you can relax.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Both Chicago sports sections leave a lot to be desired.

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Excellent reference to the most uninspiring big-city sports columnist in the country. I believe there are second-year college students who write more compelling pieces than Mike Imrem. I do, however, like Barry Rozner.

4. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Well, once you cut by 13 to 14 percent the first week, then again by 13 to 14 percent the second week, and the next and the next and the next, that won't leave many pages, will it?

Or maybe the writer meant the paper will reduce its weekly number of pages by 13 to 14 percent.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great line.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Will leave more time for thoughtful design... it's the backbone of any paper; more so at the trib....

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You know it. Design is only becoming more important as time goes along.

8. I don't know, even people in India will know how to run the photos really big.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I love the fact that a Tribune spokesman declined comment to a Tribune reporter writing the story.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cubs fans are used to balls that they think will be home runs ending up as infield flies. ;)

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Bayless, with the Tribune, was not as much of an idiot as he is these days as a full-time TV guy. His columns were always topical and usually worth reading. If you had Verdi, Bayless and a third, more enterprise-driven columnist, that would be pretty solid.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Verdi remains the most grevious loss.

His batting average was very, very high.

Draft saved Draft deleted