1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune no longer plays in Peoria

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shark_Juumper, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

2. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Wow. This seems like something of a watershed moment for one of the nation's premier papers.

Or am I just blowing it out of proportion?
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you're blowing it out of proportion. I find it extremely sad when a paper like the Trib can't be found 150 miles from home. These are the big boys, the premier like you said. When I went to college in Bloomington, Ind., I had the Trib delivered to my apartment; reading the greats like Royko every morning were a big reason why I'm in journalism now. I guess that delivery wouldn't happen today.

And yes, I know the future is online, the print edition is a relic, etc. But it's still symbolic to me.
  4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

I was told the other day by the manager of the convenience store where I always get my Trib that this was going to happen.

Sad, really. I grew up reading the Midwest edition of the Trib (which was always printed late afternoon) and continue to get it today. It's my favorite paper.
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The state paper can't be bought in much of the state. Amazing. When does Sam start shrinking Chicagoland?
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

The AJC did the same thing about a year or so ago. I know for them it made sense given the cost of distribution vs. the number of papers sold in the bottom half of the state.
  7. I can see the Trib not circulating in Indy or northern Wisconsin or even far-southern Illinois. Not circulating in Peoria or Champaign or the Quad Cities or Springfield is ridiculous.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dallas started this trend last September. They stopped doing an early press run and cut out everything outside of a 100-mile radius, which meant if you lived in Tyler or Corsicana, you're still good, but if you lived in Longview or Oklahoma, you're screwed.
  9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

This is just savvy marketing, ;) trying to look pro-active by taking the paper out of circulation in certain markets before the audience, in essence, ignores it out of circulation first.

Wait till we reach the day when the Tribune, paper version, no longer is available in Cook County. Can it be that far off under Zell?
  10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

The day is coming when the paper won't be a paper any more. This is one of the steps in that direction. It's not bad news, it's inevitable news.

The people who want to read the Tribune will still read it, they'll just read it online.
  11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Active Member

Agreed. In college towns like Champaign, Peoria, Bloomington, Macomb, etc., where there's a lot of kids (and a lot of connections) from the Chicago area, you would think it would make sense to keep delivering.

My goal was to always work at the Trib, because I grew up reading it. It really bothers me that starting next week, I've got to read it online.
  12. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

I hear what you're saying and maybe it is sad, but the fact is the Trib CAN be found 150 miles from home. Or 15,000 miles from home as long as you have a modem and a mouse. It's not the same but that's the way it is. No sense fighting it. :-\
Draft saved Draft deleted