1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune looking for agate editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I never even knew this was an option before I found this board.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure he's fun at parties. :D

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If Mike thinks criticism of this job is bad, he should see some of the threads from Martinsville, Roswell and Trenton.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This thread is both one of the weirdest in SportsJournalists.com history -- and a microcosm of exactly what SportsJournalists.com is and has always been about. Odd that way.

5. Mizzougrad96

There have been countless times where I have baited someone or posted something hoping for a huge response... This was definitely not one of those times...

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, you do that a lot as Carlton Banks.

[/Tinfoilhats]

7. Mizzougrad96

That's about the 10th time someone has accused me of being him.

8. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I just saw this thread for the first time and gotta say, I'm thoroughly stunned and entertained at the same time. You all should bury the Exacto knife and combine on a book or screenplay - written in 5.5-point type.

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

And FTR, the agate job paid $15 hourly when I landed at a certain major daily in Northern California ... in 1986.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

that equals $31,200 -- about what BANG would like to pay copy editors today.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Whenever I was a part-timer who had agate clerking as part of his duties, I'd always imagine Black Sabbath's Iron Man in my head with "Iron" changed to agate.

The humor got me through some otherwise monotonous nights. Or maybe it was a sign of delirium. I don't do well with thoughtless, repetitive tasks.

Other than that, all I have to say about this thread is ... My Goodness.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually, I find agate to be a fun job ... if one can afford it.

Strongly believe that there's a wide chasm between outstanding agate pages and weak agate pages. There's a lot you can do to make it lively and comprehensive. Of course, there's a faction of editors/journalists who roll their eyes at the genre and look upon it as a necessary evil you have to throw together.

It takes a certain amount of anal retentiveness to get the little stuff right, rather than blindly accept the way AP or your staff sends their agate. The all-star agate man would either know how to prepare macros themselves or have an IT guy on their good side who can do them. Any piece of tabular AP agate should be tab-stopped rather than relying on their own manual justification.

Draft saved Draft deleted