1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune looking for agate editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Blast from the past: This site hasn't been scolded by Kellams since the time his Tribune Website had Derrick Rose's name spelled wrong in a headline ... for 11 hours. His Tribune was properly chastized here and we were blasted by him for hiding behind pseudonyms. He explained that "he was mad" about that mistake. I don't remember the rest of the exchanges, but it went on for a while.

Honestly, though, this particular thread is much ado about very little. He's posting for part-time agate clerks. It's not going to pay much and will most likely be a second job for somebody. We don't need to be so snarky and he doesn't need to be so thin-skinned.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One position is full time, one is part time.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66304/

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, the man knows how to bring the snark.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did get a polite response from Lee Gordon, basically saying they were only looking at local candidates, which is understandable, but a little disappointing.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fair enough, sir. I didn't view his post as scolding as some of y'all did. I agree to disagree.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We cool, bro.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Honestly, I wasn't trying to bait Kellams. It was the first time I'd seen an agate job advertised in some time and I wondered what it paid. Someone PM'd me and told me I was probably only off by $1 an hour or so...

I wonder if the job ad said they wouldn't pay for relocation. :D

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So Mike scolds Mizzou for being off by about $1 an hour for a job that is only looking at local candidates? Why even post this here if you're not upfront on what type of candidate you're looking for?

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Certainly a major pissing contest over an opening for 1.5 agate clerks.

I'd be more interested to know how Kellams has improved the section since taking over for one of the most professional sports editors you could find.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's hilarious that a post about an agate opening got him all pissed off...

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

agreed.

he must be great when readers call and yell at him.

Draft saved Draft deleted