1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune looking for agate editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Hello everybody.

We have two positions open that we expect to fill. One is FT, the other is PT at around 30-32 hours per week.

The job is what you think it is: nights, weekends and all the box score buffet you can eat. We produce myriad scoreboard and league reports for Chicago Tribune and other Tribune Co. newspapers (except LAT). Most of you know the deal.

We're looking to fill these jobs ASAP.

Send anything you'd like to share that is representative of your work and your resume with references to Lee Gordon, 435 N. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60611 or lcgordon@tribune.com. Those of you with National memories certainly recognize the name.

If you have questions for me regarding these jobs, I can be reached at mkellams@tribune.com. I won't be monitoring this post much.

Thank you for your interest. Hope to see you soon.

Mike Kellams
    Chicago Tribune

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I hear there may be some good candidates available in Hartford and Allentown and Orlando and Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles and Baltimore and Newport News.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm dying to know what this gig pays these days. I got $12 an hour to do prep agate more than 20 years ago when I was in high school and I'll bet this job pays less than that.

4. speters

speters New Member

When I did that for the Star-Telegram, it paid $12/hour part-time.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Mark Heisler wants this gig. :D

6. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Mizzou ... You can bet all you want. But like most things you post on this site, you'd be wrong.

If anyone has any real questions, feel free to post. Otherwise, the Peanut Gallery can move on down the road and waste time some place else on this site.

Deal? Great.

Mike

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That may be true, but I think this ...

...is a valid point.

8. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Well then it must be so.

Or not.

Moderators, could you clean out the clutter in here, please? Anybody who has sent me a note re: the openings has gotten a response and their questions answered to the best of my ability at this time. We have interviews scheduled for next week with more to come. If you're interested in either of these openings, the OP stands.

If you'd like to add your commentary on how Tribune Company does its business, that's what the rest of this site is for, so far as I can tell.

Have fun out there.

Mike

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Geez, I'd love to work for you, Mike. You're fun.

10. Kellams

Kellams New Member

Of course, that's not what this is about.

It's simple: We're looking to hire two agate editors. That's it.

It's not about Mizzou's wild and inaccurate guesses re: pay, which a qualified candidate might read and take as gospel, again, much like other stuff around here.

And it's not about decisions Tribune Company makes to keep the lights on that nobody in Chicago Tribune Sports had or has anything to do with.

It's just about trying to hire two agate editors in Chicago. No more. No less.

I get this site. It's full of people who take shots at the world from cover. Takes some real courage. Bravo. But in here, where the endangered species of a real job exists as its tries to find a good match, you gotta do your act? Really? You have the whole rest of the site for that.

Lastly, whether I'm fun to work for (or with, I'll add) ... I am. I work hard. I appreciate my staff, which works damn hard as well. But just as there's a time to cut the chatter and get the job done, that time exists on this board as well. At least, I thought it did. Apparently, my bad.

I'm done with updates on this post. My email is above if anyone is interested and wants more information. I'll my best to provide.

OK, all yours now. Make whatever mess you want of it.

Mike

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Simply put, and then I'm finished, I don't think it's out of line to shed some light on what the pay might be if someone wanted to pursue either position. It certainly wasn't worth any type of "scolding" of mizzou.

He had a good question. You either answer it and provide people with what they're looking for, or you leave it a mystery through some sense of what's "proper to discuss." I'm sorry we don't have little slips of paper here so you can scribble down a number and slide it face-down across the table to us.

You took on the role of the stuffy middle school principal ... and one who came on here although he obviously has some superiority issues with what we do here.

Good luck in filling your positions.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sure it was. The loudmouth blathered about something w/out a clue to what he was addressing. He got beat down. Surprised YF hasn't appeared to tell the candidates to dress nicely in order to improve the economy.

Draft saved Draft deleted