1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune: Judge Punishes Absent Juror

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The mother's quote about the young man being "no axe murderer" is somewhat telling for me....It shows why, in part, the current up-and-coming generation doesn't seem in tune to being responsible. They see Paris Hilton crying like a baby when she has to "do the time" and follow her lead. I do not think I am too off base here.

The mother's comment just leaves me shaking my head.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-absent_juror_12aug12,0,678755.story

OK....OK....Now if someone will hand me my cane, shawl, and wheelchair, I will, for now, get off my soapbox. But I would like to read others' opinions on this.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm with the judge.
    This isn't around your schedule.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm really thrown off by the mother calling him "a 20-year old child".

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Yeah, I thought that, too.

5. She's a woman, she's 40.

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

That comment from the mother is why I posted this, GB-Hack. I could not believe the support this idiot was getting, and particularly the mother's continually calling him a "20-year-old child." It just really struck me in the wrong way.

I kept wondering why she wasn't, at least publicly, siding with judge as in, "my son (not child) made a mistake here. He has to learn the consequences of his actions when dealing with the justice system."

No...no...instead, we get the "my 20-year-old child is no axe murderer."

It's difficult to understand.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

With the other thread today, I was wondering when I read that if she still fed him his fried chicken.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, shocking that with her attitude her son has no sense of responsibility, isn't it?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well, as you know, I'm a 30-year old child. I'm not sure I'd like my mum admitting that though.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, let's say for a moment he really did a flat. Why would not get some kind of proof? Whip out your cell phone and take a picture. Hand the judge a receipt from the tow truck place. Call the frickin' court house. Anything.

I liked the idea of holding the sign. Three hours in the clink was fair too.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love to pile on as much as the next guy here, but I am not seeing this as all that bad:

"He was in good spirits," Sharon Leibengood said. "He talked to the prospective jurors, he talked to the bailiff. He said he'd stay out there all day if he had to."

If you give a punishment and the dude says that he'd stay out there all day if he had to, it sounds like the punishment hit its mark.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be honest, that statement is probably closer to the mark with many 20-year-olds than we care to admit. Of course, that's due in large part to parents like her who coddle their kids well into their 20s.

I'm a strong believer in education, but in many ways, I think college stunts the growth of young adults because they still have a certain amount of "adult supervision" and are still treated like children.

Draft saved Draft deleted