1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune goes tab -- well, sort of

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 13, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

From the Tribune site... if you can't beat em, compete with em?

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/01/chicago-tribune.html

In short, Trib will be tab at area news racks, commuter stations and shops. Home-delivery subscribers and out-of-state readers get broadsheet copies.

Whaddya think?

2. I think that you probably can smell the panic a mile away.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Um. More work for paginators and pressmen, and no broadsheet single-copy sales in the city?

I guess this made sense to someone, but I'm not exactly sure why.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So now paginators, which have been downsized for the last few years, will be asked to do double the work?

Dumb shits.

5. VJ

VJ Member

So they're producing a tab AND a broadsheet? That's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The second commenter on that page makes perfect sense: "In a time when the Tribune should be looking for ways to save money, printing two different versions of the same paper seems unnecessary and inefficient."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And oh so typical

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not so dumb. The Sun-Times sells most of its papers to commuters who won't read the Trib on a bus or train. And most people who work in Chicago take the bus or train.

9. VJ

VJ Member

I was thinking more of the production aspect, not strategic, when I said it was a dumb idea.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing with you (because I know virtually nothing about production), just taking a different perspective.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The idea isn't so bad, but it does cause some production headaches such as who is going to layout the tab pages, how do ads that are full-page broadsheet translate into a tab and deadlines.
    I suspect that not many of those of things have been worked out yet.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I think the Trib is rolling the dice on the S-T going bankrupt and folding.

Draft saved Draft deleted