1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune eliminates Bears game stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Dec 18, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, not to invite some vexing visitors, but there is probably a non-insane majority who likes the Post's coverage just fine. And the lunatics read it too, just so they can know what they're railing against.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think sportswriters do a pretty good job. So do columnists.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Gimmick. Good to see somebody had an idea; that's encouraging. This idea, however, is less than good.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Rather than post three separate responses and annoy three different people, I'll combine unlike into like:

First of all, saying no one here said anything about it does not mean no one knew about it. I say again: The Trib has been doing this all year. It's been moving toward it for at least another season.

Comparing this mess to PTI is ludicrous, as is saying something different has to be good. That's idiotic designer thinking right there.

Glad to see Downey's shit is called abysmal here. He's been mailing it in for months now.

I also find it interesting that after years of hearing dolts bleat: "We CAN'T have 50 inches of text!" that the demise of 50 inches of text is being bemoaned.

Plus, we're talking about poorly edited, unfactchecked Tribune text. I haven't missed it, especially after enduring an entire baseball season of sophomoric, juvenile bullshit that started in spring training when the newspaper got served by a blogger. How someone hasn't been dismissed by now is beyond me.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Local paper here does a quarter-by-quarter thing and it's just silly. The headline on each part is the score in that quarter, which looks weird. Like anyone cares who won the second quarter by a 7-3 score.

I fully agree with Frank Ridgeway...the gamer is actually a very flexible piece. Higher-ups who look at a gamer as a dinosaur are selling their writers short. Makes you wonder what will go next.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Definitely shouldn't have 50 inches. Having a quality 25 inches is much preferable

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I would prefer a quality 25 inches, but since I know I won't get it from the Tribune, I just go elsewhere.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I don't think anyone is saying a gamer has to be 50 inches.
    In most cases, I think 20-25 inches would suffice on an NFL game.
    Obviously, there are writers who can make a 25 inch gamer read like 50 and a 25 inche gamer read like 10.

Guys like Ivan Maisel and Pat Forde at ESPN.com write gamers that I think usually come in around 25-30 inches. Most of the time, they sing like the Vienna Choir.

I think the quarter by quarter deal should only be done on A Big Game like the Super Bowl or national championship game. Those tend to be keep sakes for fans who a year later might enjoy the play-by-play breakdown.

I find it interesting that the Trib's game day coverage of Bears games is basically a template they fill in each week. It's planned, not designed. That's a lazy way to do things.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think a template approach could work -- just not this particular template approach.

10. I enjoy reading the Redskins coverage in the Washington Post. And I don't work there.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The same place as the "evidence" that people buy the paper because of the front-page design.

It's bullshit, plain and simple, and people should be called on it.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

The cover is fine, although the headline doesn't say much. The four tidbits are OK as well. I would start a column out front and put a tight game story inside. Quarter-by-quarter recaps on a regular-season game? Give me some behind-the-boxscore elements and other information not seen on TV: quote rails, grades, play of the game ... NFL fans eat up copy, so turning it all into factoids is not the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted