1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune eliminates Bears game stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Dec 18, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I can't believe DyePack hasn't chimed in yet. He must be editing some copy.

They're doing something different, sure. But to say they're going to for design over content just isn't true, as those pages are poorly designed, cluttered, etc. etc. etc.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They've been doing this all season.

It comes as no surprise. As many newspapers have moved away from good content toward "better presentation," the Tribune has been coming up with more awkward, cluttered presentation, combined with its extreme lack of fact-checking that leads to some sort of factual error in almost every edition.

For example, the newspaper said recently the team had lost two of its last four games. This was after the team had gone 2-1 in a difficult road swing and had actually won three of its last four games. These types of misstatements are the rule rather than the exception.

What was really fun was when the newspaper would print a black-and-white doubletruck meant to be in color. That was some fine presentation.

All in all, it's the same old Tribune -- absolutely no clue what it's doing or why it's doing it.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I can't remember the last time I read a well-written gamer.

Not only have I not read one with an interesting writing style, but none has offered even a bit more than I have learned from a half-dozen sources by 6 a.m. Monday.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re-inventing the wheel.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Let's see.

They started doing it at the beginning of the season.

Now it's almost the end of the season.

No one on here knew.

Guess it's not a big deal.

6. People say no one reads game stories.

And yet when I misspell a player's name or have the score wrong in the 15th graf, I get 10 e-mails about it.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

OK.... well, I was hyperbolizing....

10 people read gamers.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't mind the cover, actually like it, but 2 and 3 are just awful.
    Looks like they were designed to take up space, rather than be a good and different way to present the game story. Right now, it is a crappy regular story broken into quarters and over two pages.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A web site full of sports journalists.

A major city newspaper.

Not one peep.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I like the concept of Bears Blitz, but it needs a bit of tinkering in my opinion. The concept of NFL wraparound sections or special sections in general is a good one depending on how it's presented.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A major city newspaper, but not a must-read for sports at any time during the past 30 years. Even pre-Internet when I would frequent the out-of-town newsstands weekly, the Trib was one I could safely skip. Not to say it was bad, just not a must-read as a section. Back then you could read Hersh and Holtzman on the KRT wire, but you didn't need to see the section. So this doesn't surprise me.

12. replacing a game story with two pages of quarter-by-quarter analysis is a freaking horrible idea. what focus group told them that any one wants to read a quarter-by-quarter breakdown? i'm all for ending the traditional game story. but you don't replace it with something far worse. as someone stated earlier, this is just a blog (minus the personality) put on paper and delivered to your doorstep 18 hours after it lost its relevancy.

and why not just make my homeboy david haugh the lead columnist rather than relegating morrisey and downey to page 4 and 5?

Draft saved Draft deleted