1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune Delivered (4 Days) for $0.50 per Week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 26, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday subscription for $26.00 per year:

That's half off the regular rate, which is already 80% off the newsstand price:

How much money will each of these subscriptions cost them?
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They could give it away for free and most people under 60 years old wouldn't take them up on it.

They value the lack of clutter that comes from not having the physical paper around more than they value whatever benefit they would derive from the paper itself.
  3. YankeeFan

That's how I feel.

I an read it for free online & I don't have old newspapers piling up.
  4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's all about eyeballs. All this crap people say about "freeloaders" reading news on the Web is wrong.

People who pay for the print edition pay for the paper and ink, and the means to get it there.
  5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

I've got to assume that a year's worth of papers, four days a week, costs the Tribune considerably more than $26 annually to print and distribute.

Wish I could order a bajillion subscriptions to bleed the place dry.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Depends if they can count it in the ABC count. If they can, that counts for a lot.
  7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe they can. The DMN was running a racket like this a few years ago (and if I could get the DMN for $26 a year, I'd be all over it). The DMN was actually for a while giving even Sunday-only customers three bonus weekday papers.

From my experience, what a newspaper charges per copy only covers circulation (carriers and bundle haulers) and postage. Advertising is where the income is. More eyeballs = More billing. So this is a good loss-leader for the Trib.
  8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It would be immoral to accept such an offer.
  9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree, Football_Bat. For once (at least in the past decade), I think the Chicago Tribune is doing something right.

You'll see many smaller papers do something similar to this. While the price at the newsstand won't change (or may even go up slightly), a wide array of deals will be offered to home subscribers. Especially out here in the boonies, that's who is keeping the print edition alive.
  10. YankeeFan

Selling the paper at a loss is a good business model?

We've seen how well eyeballs translates to profits on the internet when they give the product away for free.

How's it any better a strategy when you do it with a print edition?
  11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

Makes me want to slap the paper in my city, then, for charging me 10 times what the Tribune is willing to take.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Advertisers will pay a lot more for print ads, where there's less competition.
Draft saved Draft deleted