1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: The Greatest Drinking City in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Sep 17, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Read this about the best iced latte in America:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/dining/the-best-iced-latte-in-america.html?_r=0

I met one of the two guys who owns this place years ago at a conference, when he was working for Intelligentsia in LA, and before he won the US Barista Championship. He was a condescending prick then. I can't imagine what he's like now.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Craft beer dorks are almost as bad as runners. That's all they ever fucking talk about.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Understood. I don't even talk about it with my brother any more, if I can help it, because he's just going to make fun of me for not being at his level. Last night, I texted him a Manhattan variation I thought was good. He texted back, "Yeah, I was drinking Manhattans back when you hated whiskey." Apparently, there was some moment a few years ago when he poured me a whiskey neat at his apartment and I didn't like it. Because, you know, everyone takes to that on first try. I feel like Rob Portman trying to support gay marriage with these people.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Perfect time to dust off one of my favorite memes:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dick Whitman

There are stories out there about how wine "experts" can't tell the difference between good and shitty wine when they have to do a blind taste test. There's some bourbon ones like that, too.

6. YankeeFan

No one is as bad as runners, except maybe people who are devoted to yoga. It's an all encompassing lifestyle is a way that even running isn't.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When did "ironic" become conscious way to carry one's self?

8. Dick Whitman

Organic food moms.

9. Dick Whitman

My friend who works for a cycling company says that triathletes are the worst.

10. YankeeFan

That's a pretty random, but good line.

Check out the movie Somm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zeyuk8hL8

It follows a group of guys studying to become Master Sommeliers. It's pretty crazy, but it was actually a good movie.

There's also now a similar program for beer: http://cicerone.org/

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The co-worker I mentioned earlier is both a beer snob AND a biking snob (worst I've ever met in both cases). I've yet to hear him talk about something unrelated to beer or biking. He is the worst.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'm just glad people post their triathlon times on Facebook so I don't need to keep asking them about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted