1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: The Greatest Drinking City in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In most cases, whether it's from the alcohol, the hops, the juniper berries, or just strong flavor - think Campari - I want my drink to jump up and bite.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two good ones:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3646616/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3808753/

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You'd think so. But you always have to be on the lookout for the eyeroll crowd over in the corner, apparently. Actually, I work with a guy who has literally walked away from a conversation because the other person was drinking a Bud Light. THE HORROR!!! That said, I've never seen a bartender refuse to serve someone a "shitty" beer.

I've tried to be more open to different beers the last couple years (and have found a bunch I really like), but I'm still just as likely to order a Miller Lite. If that makes me a MEATBALL!!!!, then so be it, I guess. I'm ok with that.

4. Dick Whitman

I make a Boulevardier occasionally. That and a Negroni.

My perfect cocktail I've discovered, I think, is a Manhattan with 1/2 Benedictine substituted for 1/2 of the vermouth. I'd also like to try it with cherry bitters. I use Whistlepig rye on occasion, Templeton, Bulleit, or Journeyman when I don't want to use up the pricey stuff.

I saw a recipe that goes 3 oz. bourbon, 1/4 oz. sweet vermouth, 1/4 oz. Benedictine, and 1/8 oz of Grenadine. I might try that the next time I get out the equipment.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't think you're a meatball because of the beer you drink. I think you're a meatball because you're a meatball.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

I mean....OK. I don't know why you have such a hard on for that, but keep on keepin' on, brotha.

7. Dick Whitman

It's perfectly fine. I don't hold it against you.

8. JackReacher

9. YankeeFan

Take it to PMs!

10. Dick Whitman

I understand the "drink what you want to drink!!!" mentality, but I also think, like sports, there's a social aspect to alcohol in that it gives you something to talk about with people. I imagine that's one impetus behind the craft beer movement, and the resurgence of spirits and cocktails. I have a nice little whiskey collection I've built up over the past couple years - nothing extravagent, but a nice variety. I even made menus for people. It's a good conversation starter, even if I can't recognize the cinammon and tobacco notes on the Highlands-like finish.

11. YankeeFan

Hipster coffee shops are so much more condescending than any hipster bar will ever be.

They will flat out refuse to make you drinks the way you want because they don't like them that way.

12. JackReacher

Sounds like an excellent business model.

Draft saved Draft deleted