1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: The Greatest Drinking City in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Sep 17, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't believe me, take it up with GQ:

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/201409/chicago-officially-the-greatest-place-in-america-to-drink#slide=1

(Sadly, it's a slide show.)

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Good God, was that awful.

Chicago drinks at taverns, not pubs, and not a single one of whatever those things were is remotely close to the traditional Chicago tavern.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I knew Chicago was a different kind of place when I was drinking at the Blarney Stone down the street from Wrigley - they had a dog in the bar and I got hit up by a little girl selling candy for her soccer team. I then proceeded to drink/walk myself back to the Hotel Congress on Michigan Ave. It was kind of like a buffet. "Oh, I've got to get a drink here - and here, and here...."

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You walked from Wrigleyville to just South of the Loop?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Funny to see this thread. My wife called me from O'Hare this morning to say she was fascinated by the number of people drinking heavily at 9:30 a.m.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I seem to recall drinking until close to daylight at various Rush St. establishments during my regular Chicago visits many, many years ago.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The traditional Chicago tavern is an endangered species.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After a couple bars it didn't seem so bad.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Always enjoyed shooting some hoops at Butch McGuires at about 4 in the morning.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

McGuire's serves mini corn dogs which I might suggest, based on a friend's experience, are a terrible idea if you've been drinking much of the night.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A longtime chef tradition. Try and schedule as many flights as possible around 10-10:30 am. Find the bar in the airport that opens at 7. Knock a few back, have some eggs, easy-peasy.

Funnest time I had was flying from Denver to Miami back in Feb.....flight was at 9:40-something on a Sunday morning. 7am.....bar opened up.....then about 30 kids from DU come in......spring break was starting, and they were on their way to Cabo. Good times.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. This might be the most gentrified city in America. It's yuppie or hipster bars and that's about that. Try ordering a Budweiser or MGD. Or Jack and Coke. Dare you.

Draft saved Draft deleted